Weekend Backpacking Ideas for Beginners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wromanow

Reaction score
I am leading a few dayhiking friends out on their first weekend backpacking trip, and wish to make it an enjoyable trip for them. I was considering a trip to Ethan Pond, which isn't very strenuous and has some good side excursions (swimming, waterfalls, peaks, etc..). I am sure there must be a thread out there somewhere which covers this topic, but I could not locate it. Can you provide some ideas to help make this trip a success? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ethan Pond is a good choice for a first backpack. Other than that first pull uphill, the trail is mellow. Once you get there, you'll find a caretaker, bear boxes to stash food in so you won't have to try to hang it, and, believe it or not, a tarp-covered eating area (at least that was the case last year). The tarp is there as much to encourage everyone to eat in a concentrated area, which reduces the amount of area that has to be policed for foodscraps (which attract bears), as for the comfort of the human visitors, but, hey, it's a nice perk especially for first-timers who may not handle cooking from a tent in the rain well. I assume that you are staying in tents. The two points that I would concentrate on for new backpackers are:

a) a chance to plan beforehand with them and then to go over their gear while there is still a chance to make changes, i.e., not as you leave the parking lot. The big mistake is taking too much that is too heavy, i.e., a whole roll of toilet paper, a BIG tube of toothpaste, and stuff they'll never need.

b) a careful "pack-fit" check in the parking lot as you leave. How you load and distribute the weight in the pack can make a lot of difference in the comfort department. If you're not too sure how the pack should fit, stop by an outfitter (EMS, REI, etc) and see if you can get a knowledgeable person to give you a quick lesson or read up on it. Better to have someone show you if possible. Here's a link to REI's written instructions: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Lea...ryId=Camping&url=rei/learn/camp/fitbkpk2f.jsp
You need to plan on enough time in the parking lot pre-hike to work with each person on a good pack fit.

There are lots of other good options for first backpacks, e.g., Sawyer Pond, but Ethan Pond is excellent.

Last edited:
Flat Mtn shelter plent of room

the Great Gulf, you don't have to climb all the way up the trails and the GG tr isn't bad until you get up near the Headwall and there are a couple of spots for group camping.

Consider also going to the Osgood platforms. Easy trail,and a hike over to the Bluff is always a winner. Osgood has platforms,outhouse and a water source.
Another easy hike in is Rocky Branch,to the first shelter and platforms.

Just an FYI -- The Ethan Pond shelter is on the AT and it's high thru-hiker season. I know the thru-hikers don't "own" the shelters, but I try to either avoid AT shelters or make alternative plans this time of year to give priority to those than need a dry shelter more than I do.

Never mind that by now, most thru-hikers are, well, a little ripe (and I say that with all due respect). :D Sharing close quarters gets a little too cozy.

If you do end up there, you'll make fast friends if you hike in a little extra food and/or beverage to share around. I may not feed the wildlife, but I feel compelled to feed AT hikers. Eh, they're much more grateful if nothing else!