Jay Range question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
I'd like to hike the Jay Range for the first time and was looking for info regarding existing herd paths, usual routes, etc. Can anyone help, or point me in the direction of links or previous posts? (I was unsuccessful in my searches of VFTT and the internet). Thanks!

There is an unmarked, but very obvious herd path that starts about here...

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4907547&e=602137&size=l&datum=nad83

It is just south of the road that splits off of Jay mountain road. Best way to approach is from Upper Jay (to avoid driving on gravel roads).

There is no trailhead - only a DEC wilderness sign at the start. The dirt bank is also worn at this point from scrambling hikers.

The trail follows the state land boundary (yellow paint) for a while in a basically eastward direction.

It reaches the ridge, and then you just follow the cairns and herd paths. The summits have very large rock cairns and there is one that has a memorial/cross.

For me the hardest part was finding the beginnig of the herd path from the road. (Right Bubba?)
The names of all the roads in there have changed so if you use Topo! ignore the names.

The herd trail was very easy to follow last September and the route sees a lot of traffic so I would expect that any fresh blowdown already has clear herd trails circumnavigating it. The Jay Range was written up in an outdoors newspaper that is distributed widely, free of charge in Montreal a couple of years ago. That may explain why all the cars that were parked there when we came out had Quebec plates.

Hereis a picture of me standing at the start of the herd trail. Take a look at the other pics if you want a little appetizer of what awaits you.

This is an extremely beautiful hike, one that I will repeat many times. The best place to stop and have lunch is not at the summit IMO but on one of the bumps along the way, the one with the giagantic cairn IIRC.

Last edited:
There was a previous thread (I could easily find it because I had posted on it), so I'm including that in case it has extra info you could use:

Jay Range

It's a gem of a hike. Have fun!