Kayaking-Maine Island Trail Association- 8/25-8/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmel

Reaction score
S. Dartmouth MA, Seekonk MA Avatar: Kauai
Shizzmac and I are planning on doing an overnight or two nights in Maine kayaking/camping trip. I just got my MITA mebership and he is getting his also if he hasn't already.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where to go and I wanted to see if anyone was interested in joining us.

Let me know!

Thanks,
carm

The waters off of Deer Isle-Stonington are very beautiful. I would suggest going there. There was also a campground in Sunset that I stayed at a few years ago in the area. Not sure if it is still open, but it was ok for a campground.

don't be disappointed

If Shizz backs out at the last minute...

I'm wondering if Shizz will be playing Moe from his kayak. If so, count me in for sure (ah, I'm likely going anyway). :p

Carmel- thanks for the pm on this.

I've been going over the MITA book over the past two week looking for a decent region- Jay H and I have been talking about doing something up there, I was settling on the Penobscot bay. Stonington is a nice area- LauraM, Jay H Funky Fred and I were up there a few years back.

Are you planning on car camping or island camping? A lot of the Islands dont hold groups of any appreciable size.

I'll be up in Maine the week after Labor Day looking to do something then though , with luck I'll have job interviews to deal with. Of course if you choose Jewel Island outside of Portland I can commute to the interviews...

Artex said:
I'm wondering if Shizz will be playing Moe from his kayak. If so, count me in for sure (ah, I'm likely going anyway). :p

Shiz is on the giggy 12 step program to get him off moe -

weeks 1-4, slayer
weeks 2-8-slayer
weeks 8-12 slayer

Warren and I have thought of some extended MITA paddling next year, but nothing is in concrete.

We really need to start the VfTT kayak splinter group again, I had a really fun time during the last excusions!

There are some smaller weekend paddling trips planned for the near future but don't want to post anything until it gets more settled though. Stay tuned.

Jay

i do my own "trips" every weekend. it's a long crazy commute...about a mile down the road, it sure is tough saving up the gas money to support my habbit!

if anyone ever wants to go out kayaking, give me the heads up.

i'm still waiting on my guidebook, I've had a few PMs with suggestions.

Somehow I missed the dates when I first posted yesterday. I'll only be available that weekend if by some miracle my car is back in my hands. It was due back in my hands something like 4 months ago so I'm not counting on it....

But I have been kayaking sort of down the block from me, on the East River. The launch is a few miles away but the river is just down the block from me. Should be heading tomorrow after work if I can manage it.

Last edited:
D*mn - I wish I was up to this kind of thing, but don't feel strong enough to head out into the ocean :( Next time... For now, all I'm doing is some easy sections of the Androscoggin in NH and Maine. I'll hopefully do a short 10 mile section this weekend (Gilead to Bethel), either Friday or Saturday (I'll be at the cabin Thurs evening - Sunday or Monday). You (and Shizzy) know where I live.

giggy: Shizzy's 12 step program isn't working. He just got Sirius and is hooked on the JamOn station. He is discovering that there is life after moe: Grateful Dead, StringCheese, Keller Williams, Lettuce, Galactic, and a host of other fine improv musicians. The Bluffs aren't there yet :rolleyes:

Warren said:
But I have been kayaking sort of down the block from me, on the East River.

Doesn't paddling around the bodies get tiresome? :)

Looking forward to this trip. Glad Shizz has further broadened his jam band horizons.

-Jamie

Hey Carm,
I was going to join you...but now that Shizzy is a definite, I thing I have to clean my house or something that weekend...I've seen him ride that inflatable mattress and it ain't a pretty site...the poor thing, he just can't seem to get the real thing...it's always either that inflatable thing or sometimes he does something with my sleeping bag... :eek:

Wait a minute...

Hey... come on... I'm going to stick up for Shizz
[let me think about it for a bit... I'll be right back]

Carm, I was on my way up to visit and you're leavin?? ;) (the truth!)

Save yourself some miles-Stonington is nice,but look at Muscongus Bay. Put in at Broad Cove Marine-$7 a day to park-good launch,and you have a choice of islands for good weather or bad. If you go,plan on paddling into Round Pond for the lobster dinner right on the dock area. Plan your paddle with the tides,as the current can get strong-but if you plan it right it's a free ride!!
Remember,it's LNT camping on the islands,and no fires above the tideline
I would encourage any kayakers planning on paddling coastal Maine to join MITA. Help us protect some of the best paddling in the world. Not a kayaker? Join MITA,and volunteer for the twice yearly island cleanups-it's a great way to see the islands! Mrs KD and I have been MITA volunteers for the past seven years.

If you are going to be around the Brunswick/Freeport area, check out a day's yak around the Bailey's/Orr's island area. I did an intro to kayaking in this area several years back and it was beautiful! They have one of the only cribwork bridges right there and also world famous Cook's Lobster House!

Here's their website.
http://cookslobster.com/

King Tut,you are right about that. Harpswell Neck,Orrs,Baileys are my favorite kayaking areas. You can launch at Dolphin Marine (2$ launch,$5/nite to park). Head out to Eagle Island(Admiral Peary's home-museum) if the wind is down,or go to the left and paddle down into the cove-big currents when the tide is running in and out of the cove! Head over to the cribstone bridge and have a great lunch at Princes marina,or visit H2Outfitters right next door-say hi to Jeff!
If your paddling skills are good-surf the standing wave on the east side of the bridge-yee hah! Just watch for boats!
Several camping options available in the area-MITA has the details.
We paddled a weekend up there in July,and I didn't check the schedule ahead of time-Lobster Boat Races-yikes! Actually,if your careful,it's a fun event to see-this was our second time. Go paddle Casco Bay!