Porter (41) and Cascade (42) - 8/13/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0-G

Reaction score
Luck has been with me for the past two weekends and today is no different. The morning is beautiful, clear skies, relatively low humidity and a promise of dazzling views await as just reward for the effort.

Gail joins me on this trip today, a magnificent trail mate. It is always a pleasure to share the trail with her.

As the planning goes, it was simple enough, a through hike from the Marcy Airfield to the parking area by Cascade / Pitchoff on Rt. 73. Our first stop Blueberry Mountain.

The trail seems oddly in disarray and is quite the surprise from the more public launching area at the airfield. More rugged than we expected and certainly more entertaining than we could have hoped for. A playful trail inviting visions of what Blueberry Mountain must look like. That was more than enough to keep me climbing the unexpectedly steep trails. It’s hard to explain but this marked trail seemed more like a less traveled her path in places than a marked and maintained trail. I appreciated that as it fit very well as a segue from the previous days experience on Allen. There were no people save for a pooch and his talkative human who so kindly told us where a trail marker was.

Perhaps, due to the intensity of the previous day or in part that I was not alone, my mind seemed to be taking a break and enjoying all the sensory experiences that were offered up. It was a very sunny day and there were many exposed portions on this trail. Passing through the shady sections became a craving as did feeling the rush of each cool breeze across my face.

The sweet sounding name “Blueberry Mountain” was definitely out of character with the trail leading to its summit. It was not until we reached the summit that it all made some sense. The irony was perfect, an unexpectedly rugged trail which led to an abundance of unexpectedly beautiful views. I am not quite sure why Blueberry is the mountain’s assigned moniker, but it hardly mattered as from its summit a full view of Porter and Cascade is revealed. My number forty-one and forty-two. That was all I needed to make the remainder of that journey joyful and easy.

Blueberry Mountain stayed in my thoughts, unwilling to bid farewell. It was as if Blueberry Mountain, being subjected to living in the shadow of its two more popular siblings was showing its appreciation for the visit we made, the effort we put forth to appreciate its bounty.

Porter and Cascade, not just notches in the belt, but vantage points to take in views of a number of the peaks that are part of the 46r collection and Blueberry Mountain.

My number forty-one and forty-two.

I begin the process of acknowledging all the hard work and planning that put me here on the crest of completing the 46.

In view, to name a few, Gothic, Saddleback, Basin. For me, the more notorious and infamous peaks in my personal body of work, and still, a peek at Blueberry Mountain.

It is clear to me now, why Cascade and Porter are with me today. They are providing the foundation of appreciation, an acknowledgement of the expected and unexpected. I sense they are lending their support to the cause of all who appreciate the high places, a kind compassion, a good wish and a strong blessing for a safe journey. An appreciation and a tolerance of the lesser ones. We all have that Blueberry Mountain somewhere in our life, that unexpected unannounced jewel that is no less appreciated than the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Cradled in the essence of Cascade and Porter, grateful for the gift of humanity bestowed upon me by these two proud siblings, I set off with confidence and appreciation for all the “Blueberry Mountain’s” I have yet to meet.

Thanks Tom,

I plan on finishing this coming weekend. Blake, Colvin, Nippletop and Dial.

The last peak will probably be Dial.

A long Day Hike.

Zer0-G said:
Thanks Tom,

I plan on finishing this coming weekend. Blake, Colvin, Nippletop and Dial.

The last peak will probably be Dial.

A long Day Hike.
Yikes! That's a little too much for me these days! Good luck! It sounds like you can do it though!

Tom Rankin said:
Yikes! That's a little too much for me these days! Good luck! It sounds like you can do it though!

Yikes, I Know.
I have to work out the milage.

A few weeks ago, I did a 3-day and day one was : Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, Marshall and then up to the Uphill Lean-to. About 9000 feet elevation gain and approx. 14 miles. About 30 percent was with a full pack. i.e. Up Algonquin, scooting to the other peaks where we dropped packs and then full pack from Colden Dam to the Up-hill lean-to.

This can't be worse than that.

No, CBND isn't that bad, IMO, Al and I did it a few weeks ago, and I would finish in that order.

If I had to do it again, I would also go out to Fish Hawk Cliffs even though it would add a mile to the big loop, you still have time to do cause you can really make up a lot of time between Nippletop and Bear Den and even Dial as the terrain from there is fast...very fast, you can really cruise on that section, especially since it's also downhill.

The worst is probably the short switchback climb up the Noonmark shoulder which you'll encounter after Dial and there are some steep downhill sections before you hit the AMR road too.

Good Luck, though you wont need it, knowing how fast you've been blazing the 46...

Jay

If you look at the ADK maps, there is the main Gill Brook trial that veers off to the left as you walk down the lake road. Then you'll see shortly another connector trail that is perpendicular to the Lake Road.. That is the trail that Guinness told Al and I to take because it is faster than the actual Gill brook trail. He told us that the actual Gil Brook trail is very rooted which makes the hike slower, especially if wet and of course, you can hike faster on Lake Rd than the trail. So, look for the cutoff after the main Gill Brook trail and hike up the short steep section. There is a sign at both intersections though I forget what they actually say. It should be obvious though.

Jay

Here is the best beta on the Bypass trail versus the Gill Brook trail. Scroll around, the page even has a mileage table.

I've taken both and the Gill Brook Trail, if longer, is prettier. The Bypass OTOH is an excellent trail for motoring on.

Yup. Thats where I got my info from as well. That site has a wealth of information.

Thanks Neil.

Zer0-G said:
Blueberry Mountain stayed in my thoughts, unwilling to bid farewell. It was as if Blueberry Mountain, being subjected to living in the shadow of its two more popular siblings was showing its appreciation for the visit we made, the effort we put forth to appreciate its bounty.

I did the exact same hike last year, and that little mountain made me fall in love with the Adirondacks. The views were simply beautiful. I remember sitting on Porter's summit, looking at the crowd on top of Cascade. I didn't feel like going over there, but it is at this exact moment that I learn what peakbagging meant ! So I went and it felt strange to be next to all those tourists, after being so alone on the ridge.

I didn't know at that time that I would do the 46 (Porter and Cascade were #3 and #4). Now that it's over, I want to do more of those special little mountains of the ADK's.

Good luck on your big finish, and I also recommand the short-cut instead of Gill Brook tr. And take a long rest on the burned Noonmark shoulder, it's a great spot. The final miles after that were very painful for me, and Blake was not even part of my hike !

Very nice TR, and I agree with you about Gail : It is always a pleasure to share the trail with her.

timmus said:
Now that it's over, I want to do more of those special little mountains of the ADK's.
Try the Fire Tower Challenge. They range from very easy to very challenging. Here are some other 'little' mountains:

Noonmark
Owl's Head
Ampersand
Short Job
Mt. Jo
Rooster Comb
Snow
Black

There's a lot more too! :D

timmus said:
I remember sitting on Porter's summit, looking at the crowd on top of Cascade. I didn't feel like going over there, but it is at this exact moment that I learn what peakbagging meant ! So I went and it felt strange to be next to all those tourists, after being so alone on the ridge.

I agree with you. It felt strange after such a quiet morning of appreciating all the nuances of the hike up to BlueBerry Mountain's summit to be suddenly surrounded by tourists on Cascade.

I don't want to deride the tourists. Really.
Even though I think I agree with your sentiment regarding the hourdes of tourists on Cascade.

I remember I was a tourist once or twice or thrice.

I must admit, I do crave the solitude and peace that comes with being the only one on the trail, the only one on a summit (or with an apprecaited partner).

I don't really understand what you meant when you said,

timmus said:
but it is at this exact moment that I learn what peakbagging meant !