In-Line Water Filter??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
MEB -

I used to have one like Jay H references in his post (BTW, Jay - nice avatar). I used it one July/August when I had peakbagging fever and was living more in the ADK's than at home. I'd use it to refill my Nalgenes on some long toots - the long and the short of it - save your money. It took more effort to use than it appears, although it was marginally faster than my dragging out my Pur Hiker if all you needed was a liter. The down side for this type is they're fragile - the filter mechanism is in the top of the bottom, and the plastic can't withstand dropping it, which happened to me.

Personally - I'd stick with either a conventional filter, or splurge on something like a Miox which are a rather pricey.

I have what seems to be this:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/filter2.htm

But made by another company and the larger half is clear lexan.

Works well, best if you carry a water bag with a bottle and set up a gravity fed filter, I just dont like sipping water. Girlfriend loves hers, has no problem with just sipping. But man, life is meant to be taken in big gulps.

Only issue for me is getting replacement filter elements.

I think the Bota bottles, which I incorrectly refer to as a "Boca bottle"...oops, is on sale at STP, as I saw it there for $9.95 or so, which is less than half the listed $19.95 MSRP.

I think those bottles are particularly useful for long bike rides where you might not have access to bottled water yet might not want to carry a gallon of water and know that there is a stream nearby. Would save having to carry a filter and they probably fit most standard water bottle holders.

Jay

Thanks everyone for the information....looks like I've got some more researching to do before I buy anything.

-MEB

More on water

Hi MEB - My son, "Dirt", has been using a new device. It's a pump that fits onto Nalgene bottles and you just stick the tube down into the water and pump for maybe 30 seconds to fill a bottle. Sort of like a bike frame pump. He says it weight under 1 pound. Takes everything out. I think he got it at EMS but it is not listed on their website. Cannot remember the brand.
-TrekMan

Bota bottle

The ones I got, 22 oz. size, are about the same diameter as a 24 oz. Poland Springs water bottle. So it's smaller in diameter than a 1 l. Nalgene, but it is taller and won't fit into an insulated bottle holder with the top zipped shut.

teejay