Leaky hydration units.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I started out with Platypus units but after 2 of them sprung leaks I switched over to an MSR Dromlite and figured I was all set. Now after less than 2 years use it too has sprung a leak. Any recommendations for a bomb-proof hydration unit before I switch back to bottles in desperation?

Old guys and their bladders.

I have also had good luck with camelbaks.

Rik said:
Old guys and their bladders.
:D
Old guys don't have problems with their bladders emptying themselves,(well, maybe real old guys) they have problems getting their bladders to empty. Period.

The Camelback is probably heavier than the MSR Dromlite but you get what you pay for, right?

I've got a couple of Camelbacks and the only thing that's worn out is the bite value on one of them, and that's wasn't a big deal to replace. I've also got a couple of the soft Nalgenes for my dog, but they haven't gotten too much use so can't really vouch for their durability.

Camelbaks are pretty darn strong. I've used the sameones for years and never had problems. I've even gone over the bars on my mountain bike and landed flat on my back (Camelbak) on granite and still no problems. Seriously, I have landed flat on my back several times and the camel bak actually sort of cushions the fall. Never had a leak. Well, only when I left the valve in the open position and put it in my truck and put other gear on top of it. But that is my fault and not the pack's.

The Platypus packs are cheap and you get what you pay for.

- darren

Early on I had a leak at the screw on cap of my camelbak. I think some dirt got into the threads and scratched them causing them to leak rather significantly. Solution was to put some vaseline on the threads. No problem for the last three years since then.

I've used platypus bladders before but have noticed that they can and do crease. I haven't had one fail me yet but seems possible.

As far as the "camelback" type bladders, I've used Blackburn ones because I prefer their spring loaded bite valve versus the simply push down and open ones from "camelback" (the company).

I did buy a Nalgene 32oz wide-mouth cantene while I was out west, a nice Nalgene bottle replacement and lighter weight.

Jay

2 platypus units leaked from the constant creases and I believe from me freezing them. My Nalgene now leaks around the cap due to several accidental drops. With me hiking four days each week, any brand will probably leak eventually.

I had this very cheap (13$) Source brand bladder, used it for few months until it started to leak from the valve. Then I bought an expensive Camelbak, that tasted so HORRIBLE, even after the baking soda, bleach treatment and Gatorade's fillings. I got a refund for it (they told me that happen often) and I bought another 13$ bladder, but that one was started leaking at the first use. It went straight to the garbage can, and now I use water bottles.

Let me know what you go for, Neil. Because now I have headaches from not drinking enough water while hiking, so I need to buy a new bladder too.

darren said:
Camelbaks are pretty darn strong. I've used the sameones for years and never had problems. I've even gone over the bars on my mountain bike and landed flat on my back (Camelbak) on granite and still no problems. Seriously, I have landed flat on my back several times and the camel bak actually sort of cushions the fall. Never had a leak. Well, only when I left the valve in the open position and put it in my truck and put other gear on top of it. But that is my fault and not the pack's.

The Platypus packs are cheap and you get what you pay for.

- darren
THe Camelbaks are strong but one of mine leaked. Maybe one of my cats scratched it.

Neil: Duct Tape!

-Dr. Wu

Usually I use bottles but recently used my Camelback on an extended backpack. No leakage problems, but I used iodine to treat some questionable water and now can taste the iodine w/every filling! :mad: Anyone know of a way to get rid of the taste??

Stinkyfeet said:
Usually I use bottles but recently used my Camelback on an extended backpack. No leakage problems, but I used iodine to treat some questionable water and now can taste the iodine w/every filling! :mad: Anyone know of a way to get rid of the taste??
Poop in it!!

-Dr. Wu

Hmmm, I’ve been using platypus bladders for about 5 or 6 years now and have yet to have a leak from the bladder it’s self. The bite valve on my 3.5-year-old 3L that I use all the time just started to leak a little bit this year when I let the hose dangle. The bladder is also starting to show signs of fatigue, so I’ve decided to replace it with a 2L platy and a 1L.
I also have a 3L camelback that I’ve only used twice, because both time I used it the hose disconnected from the bladder and I lost all of my water. The first time it soaked into my sleeping bag.
I still use water bottles in winter so I don’t have to worry about hose freeze.

I use Platypus if I can for hiking, my hydration pack came with a Nalgene bladder.

I have had a leaky Platypus and a leaky Camelback... it's going to happen to all these bladders.
There is tape out there that can fix it, depending on where the leak forms.

I view all hydration bladders as consumables. Two or three years use is great, then I get a new one. I'm pretty sure this is the last season for my current 3-liter Playtpus. It has the Zip-Lock top which is a PITA.

-dave-

I've had some problems with leaking at the seams but also had trouble with the bite valve coming off. Once I lost it near the summit of Mt. Fort, and someone coming along behind me found it. Another time I lost it at the beginning of a hike and used a twig to plug the hose. Conveniently, the twig I picked had a bump on it so I could use it to pull the twig out when I wanted to drink. But the surprising thing was that I found the bite valve in my boot (under the tongue) several miles later -- and I thought *that* was a twig :D

Last edited:
this is all way too much hassle - thats why I use bottles....................... 2 5 dollar nalegene bottles lasted me many years and they don't leak ever!!

death to the hydration bladders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr Wu - I will need a visual aid on how one gets poop in the bladder - :p :p :p :p

That may be, Giggy, but they're heavier. Now I generally use one Nalgene so that if I need to filter water the units will fit but I also use several Rubbermaid bottles. They're light, made of a "greener" plastic, and cost a lot less than Nalgene. They've held up perfectly, too.