Trip to Mt Isolation - water crossing question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I am curious to learn what the brook crossings are like along the Rocky Branch and Isoaltion Trails.

Can you rock hop over the streams or is a "take off your boot" situation?

Was there a couple of weeks ago. Going in on Rocky Branch, the first crossing was either a long jump across or a 25 foot whack to the north and a rock crossing. All the other crossings were rock hopping. Didn't find it to be a big deal now. Of course, heavy rain before you go could make it more interesting.

I was there in mid July and all but one crossing were hopable (never was an English major or scrabble player)- My hiking buddy hopped successfully, I waded without any problem! Water levels and flow now seem considerably down in the Whites,(Ammi and Saco) typical of late summer & early fall. I would imagine crossings would be very manageable unless you are hiking soon after a heavy rainfall

Have fun!!!

zman said:
Water levels and flow now seem considerably down in the Whites,(Ammi and Saco) typical of late summer & early fall. I would imagine crossings would be very manageable unless you are hiking soon after a heavy rainfall

I was surprised to look at the streamflow discharge data for the East Branch of the Pemi today and see that flow is above median for this time of year. That means that after rainfall, the river will rise rapidly. Rivers like the Dry River, Wild River, and Wild Ammonoosuc get their names from how quickly these otherwise placid streams do become wild after rainfall runoff. I guess they have large watershed catch-basins although other factors may be involved.

Waumbec,
Thanks for the correction!! I am usually hiking every weekend and had noticed the water levels and flow “seemed” to be considerably down. I was comparing to how high the levels and flows were in early/mid summer due to all the rains. Just last weekend my wife and I were commenting on how much lower water was- I guess it’s what you get used to…
I certainly remember in early summer doing more waterfall hikes when it wasn’t raining and observing how quickly flow and levels could increase- Thanks for the USGS link!!

I've always been able to rock hop across the streams, but on every trip someone with me went for a swim. Not a problem on a hot summer day; a different story in early Spring.