48's completed!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
details. . .

I only discovered the List in 1999 after taking Maryland friends up Lafayette as a fall hike. I had hiked many peaks while growing up in Mass. & NH but never kept count. When I realized a List existed, and being a "List" sort of person, I began to climb each one, even those I had hiked in the past. I've done 16 solo, Moosilauke was my first solo day hike. I've hiked w/ my husband, who is 21/48, as well as two other hiking friends. While working on these hikes, I've lived in Maryland, so each hike has really been quite a long haul. . .BWI to Manchester via Southwest Air for many.

I've not hiked any in winter, although we had early snow on Carrigain (10/5/03); the snow outlined absolutely everything in the woods and it was beautiful. I ski and love to snowshoe, but I doubt I'll work on winter hiking, just too iffy w/ the amount of traveling I have to do. Some Memorial Weekend hikes included that thick layer of ice along the trails near the summit. And we didn't have crampons. . .

Probably Owl's Head was the one I didn't like. I didn't feel safe going up, freaked myself out--and I had read about that slide for several years. Two of my hiking friends have not done OH yet, so I think I'll be scrambling up that one again. And then I'll enjoy it more, truly!

Favorites would have to be Bonds, did that 3 days Memorial Day Weekend w/ my husband and we had a blast together. I also loved doing the Wildcats & Carter Notch, loved the wild kind of feeling from that area. I'll definately do more backpacking in the Wildriver area.

Most enjoyable moments were meeting other hikers along the way, celebrating whatever accomplishments were going on. I'm usually pretty quiet and hiking seems to be so spectacular to me.

I hike a lot here in MD, WVA, Shenandoah Valley. Not quite like the Whites, or in ME, or VT. But there are some special trails, and it's not so far away. WVA can be pretty rugged & wild.

Again, I thank the hikers who frequent VFTT (and the AMC Forums). I check out all the photos of trails & summits, get advice & knowledge. How did we do stuff before email???

dottie

Congratulations! Owl's Head and Isolation rock... and the Bonds are defnitely very special!

Congradulations Dottie on finishing up the list!!!! That's awesome!

I enjoyed owls head, and especially enjoyed hiking up isolation. both great mountains. I am hoping to finish my own 48 list this coming week. I have 3 left, moosilaukee, jefferson, and garfield, and am hoping to finish by the 26th of this month.

again, congrads dottie! a great accomplishment.