Book Suggestion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Just wanted to pass along a suggestion for a good book. It's called "South of the Northeast Kingdom", written by screenwriter David Mamet. It's a memoir of his last 30 years living in northeastern Vermont. Unfortunately, there are some silly political rants throughout the book, but thankfully they're few and far between, so I was able to hold my nose for a while and plow through them. Besides that, it's an amazingly well-written memoir which seems to perfectly capture his corner of the world. Highly recommended.

Hey, thanks for this! I like his screenplays (onscreen, that is) and look forward to reading him.

On a similar note, I looked for suggestions on Google recently, and found some college summer lists that had great titles. One on Vesuvius was called "Pompeii" (Robert Harris). I know this is going afield for this site, so I'll add one I found here: "We Took to the Woods" by Louise Rich (thanks to Cantdog for that one).

There have been lots of great book threads here, so thanks for the addition.

--Mike.

Louise Rich!! and some other favorites -

I'll second "We took to the Woods"!!!
Excellent.

Some other similar titles:

Look to the Mountain - Cannon
We live in the Artic
We live in Alaska
and Our summer w/ Eskimos ; all written by Constance Helmerick

And some young adult titles that even an adult would enjoy:

My side of the Mountain
On the far side of the Mountain