GPS repair options

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dRitter

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 60CS that after a year of use needs repairs. The small jack on the back where the USB cable attaches is loose and gives an intermittent connection. It still works but it takes a lot of fiddling around. Anybody have any experience with getting one of the units repaired??
Damon

Contact Garmin--they have a pretty good track record with repair.

If you call their help line, call early in the business day (central time). The waits are reported to be shorter at said time.

Doug

Garmin has a flat repair fee, which was $125 for the etrex series, but their website has info on the cost, I don't know if that is the same fee for all their series of GPS units but you'll find out soon enough. It can be haggled though as I managed to get my Vista repaired for $75. You just have to whine enough and say that you know exactly what the problem is and that $125 is a ripoff for a simple repair of the jack.

I begged and pleaded to let me buy the part that I needed (my click stick was broken) and let me fix it myself (I already took my Vista appart to look at the clickstick) and they were refusing to budge, so in the end, they agreed to charge me $75 to fix the stick and to replace the LCD screen which was scratched. (actually they gave me a new unit I think).

Gotta haggle!

Jay

dRitter said:
I have a Garmin 60CS that after a year of use needs repairs. The small jack on the back where the USB cable attaches is loose and gives an intermittent connection. It still works but it takes a lot of fiddling around. Anybody have any experience with getting one of the units repaired??
Damon

Actually I had the same problem. I was out of warrenty period but they fixed it for me. While it was in they did some other work they found needed. The battery compartment pads to hold batteries in better. Plus a new key pad.

No charge either.

I am a good customer with them having purchased about 10 units plus software programs from them but I've heard lots of good reports about their support from regular buyers.

Thanks Capt. I'm leading toward the "it just went out of warranty" tact since it is only out of warranty by 2 months. The flat fee is $150, a little steep for something that is likely a circuit board plug in :eek: . If they don't budge I'll likely gamble on dissecting it myself, in a previous career life I did some electronic repairs at the component level....
Damon

dRitter said:
Thanks Capt. I'm leading toward the "it just went out of warranty" tact since it is only out of warranty by 2 months. The flat fee is $150, a little steep for something that is likely a circuit board plug in :eek: . If they don't budge I'll likely gamble on dissecting it myself, in a previous career life I did some electronic repairs at the component level....
Damon

Those MCX connectors are tricky to connect. The jack is recessed in the 60CS as well so using right angle ones are tough. I use them on my 60cs but use a lobster band to keep it secure.

Tell them you've had the trouble for a while now it it finally broke for good recently.

They just gave me a free update for City Navitgator 8 today because they kept messing up my regristration on a refurbished unit since last November.

I complained I was tired of trying to prove it was mine not the former owners eveytime I got a update or had to get unlock codes or deal with them about this unit (SP2610).

A value of $75.00. I guess there still in the game.

Last edited: