Dog-Friendly Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandaddy

Reaction score
Hello fellow hikers:

I would like to open by saying that I admire many of the posts that I have read on hiking with dogs, as well as many other subjects on this site.

I plan on taking my yellow lab on a hike in the Whites this weekend. I am looking for some suggestions on dog-friendly trails. My 1 1/2 yo dog has hiked in this order: Blue Hills, Middle Sugarloaf N.H., and Mt. Osceola. He is in fine shape and has good stamina.

I'm looking for trails that do not have sections so steep that he won't be able to ascend/descend. He had a hard time w/ the ladder on Sugarloaf! :eek:

Thanks in advance and happy hiking to you all as this summer dreadfully winds down!

Crawford Path to Mt Pierce/Clinton is pleasant for both man and beast - steady grades with a good view at the top - no tricky parts. Moosilauke's Gorge Brook is another nice one, as is Osceola from the Tripoli Road.

Kevin Rooney said:
Crawford Path to Mt Pierce/Clinton is pleasant for both man and beast - steady grades with a good view at the top - no tricky parts. Moosilauke's Gorge Brook is another nice one, as is Osceola from the Tripoli Road.
Osceola from Tripoli is a great hike for a dog! We did this one a couple of months ago.

You might want to look at Lisa Densmore's Best Hikes With Dogs: New Hampshire and Vermont. The link is to the AMC store, but you can find the book at many bookstores and outdoor retailers. (Hmmm, published by The Mountaineers and sold by AMC -- who says conviviality is dead in America? :D )

Also, it might help us if you specified some more details re: the type of hike you're looking for -- Length? Terrain? Views?

EDIT: Careful with those "dreadful" references to summer. Someone might think that you and your dog actually prefer the cooler, nay even the colder, parts of the year . . .

Last edited:
sardog1 said:
You might want to look at Lisa Densmore's Best Hikes With Dogs: New Hampshire and Vermont. The link is to the AMC store, but you can find the book at many bookstores and outdoor retailers. (Hmmm, published by The Mountaineers and sold by AMC -- who says conviviality is dead in America? :D )

Also, it might help us if you specified some more details re: the type of hike you're looking for -- Length? Terrain? Views?

EDIT: Careful with those "dreadful" references to summer. Someone might think that you and your dog actually prefer the cooler, nay even the colder, parts of the year . . .

Thanks for the book reference, I actually found that title last night and am probably going to spring for it.

As far as length, the limiting factor is probably myself, which may sound like self-flagellation, but is actually true due to my lab's endless supply of energy. :)

We are looking for a long hike for this weekend, but also would like to hear any recommendations that one may have for shorter hikes also.

Water

While it may be slightly off-topic, I'll nonetheless provide that the dogs I've seen on
==Franconia Ridge
==Crawford Path & Boott Spur
==Signal Ridge
==Algonquin (ADK) and
==Cascade (also ADK)

were all hurting for water.

On the other hand, it looked like 19-Mile Brook would be perfect for a dog: lots of shade and plenty of water (don't forget dogs get giardia, too).

Best for a fun hike,

--M.

--M. said:
While it may be slightly off-topic, I'll nonetheless provide that the dogs I've seen on
==Franconia Ridge
==Crawford Path & Boott Spur
==Signal Ridge
==Algonquin (ADK) and
==Cascade (also ADK)

were all hurting for water.

On the other hand, it looked like 19-Mile Brook would be perfect for a dog: lots of shade and plenty of water (don't forget dogs get giardia, too).

Best for a fun hike,

--M.

There's a good thread regarding hiking with dogs:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11659

My lab got sick after our Osceola hike (mucho diarrhea.) Our vet believed he picked up giardia.

We carry as much water for our dog as we do for ourselves. We recently picked up a dog-pack, so he'll be able to carry his own water!

I would be very careful about hiking anywhere with a Labrador Retriever that is only 18 months old.

I'd be sticking to distances no more than three miles, and mostly flat, at a gentle walking pace with several breaks. At most, I'd include little bits of scrambling thrown in here and there for experience's sake. My reason for this is that large and giant breeds (Labs are considered large) are typically not yet physically mature at 18 month. This means they are not yet fully grown, orthopedically speaking; i.e. among other things, the growth plates on the long bones may not yet be closed, the joints may not yet be fully developed.

Just because they can and will, doesn't mean they should. It is up to us to help our dogs remain sound and healthy throughout their lives.

Especially for a Lab pup, how 'bout an outing somewhere watery? Perhaps into Lonesome Lake, Sawyer Pond, or an out-and-back along a watery trail such as Hancock Notch, Sabbaday Brook, Down's Brook, or Greeley Ponds?

Dugan does make a valid point about not too young, but IMHO 18 months was fine for both of my Labs (a black and a chocolate.) Length of hike is another factor, I took both on the 19 mile Presi-traverse this past summer. 3 year old Zippy was fine, never a problem. 9 year old Chips developed two bleeding pads and started coughing-hacking fits about 2/3 of the way though (she stopped after an hour or so, and was fine). I do think she drank too much water at Lakes of the Clouds Hut.

Terrain is a factor: The Presi-traverse features alot of very course granite surfaces that is tough on their pads after a few miles. Both made it up and down Adams/Madison earlier in the Spring without a hitch, but the traverse was so much more of this. I guess I would say limiting your distance above treeline, to no more than about 2 miles would be better for your dogs pads.

I am strong enough to lift (65 lb) Chips up rock scrambles. On the Webster Cliff trail I had to do this three separate times for Chips. I could have pushed her up every time which doesn't require nearly as much strength. I have never had to help Zippy get up/over anything. Other trails requiring me to help Chips were the Ridge of Caps trail, The upper rock scrambles in the southern approach from Ferncroft to Mt. Whiteface, and the chimney area in the trail from Osceola to East Osceola. Thats it, Chips has done all 48 NH 4K'ers and these are the only ones with which I've had to help her. I would expect you to have to help your dog whenever the NH trail guide says there are rock scrambles.

Definately go with the packs: both of my dogs love them. I don't put more than 2 pounds in Chips' pack anymore, but Zippy carries 10 lbs no problem.

My dogs get a pretty fair amount of excercise every day on my land. The vet, usually comments on how fit and trim they are. Err on the side of caution, if your dog is considered overweight or underfit by your vet.

I just finished reading the thread on dogs listed above and it is excellent. I wish to reiterate that dogs are very different. I had a greyhound a number of years ago that could never had endured the rigours of hiking a mile in the Whites. Labs are a working breed and will go anywhere.

Last edited:
A lot of very important and good info has been offered up so far, especially as concerns the responsibility we as owners hold over the welfare of our pets. Getting back to your original question regarding hikes, the perceived length of a hike must be considered both subjectively and objectively. Not many of us would consider 8.4 miles to be all that long. However, an out-and-back to Wildcat (A) from Pinkham Notch (Glen Ellis Falls) definitely seems (or feels) longer than 8.4 miles. Elevation gain--and, not to mention where and how that elevation gain occurs--has it's effect on a hike, as does the type of terrain. Several AT thruhikers volunteered this to me this past weekend as they were assessing this patch of God's Country that we know as the Whites. For example, while it's been said that the trails in the Whites are generally rocky--and "rooty"--those in the Presies are particularly potentially nasty for dogs given the roughness/sharpness of the rock(s) and the fact that there's little relief from the rocks once above treeline. Requisite care should be taken, and in such situations I've learned to bring booties for Sugar's paws. (In fact, I always pack them, regardless of where we're going.)

You'll find that your dog--especially while young--will be able to go more places than you. Whether or not s/he should is another question. As Kevin pointed out, Moosilauke is a good mountain for dogs. The first longish hike I took with Sugar was up the Benton Trail, which doesn't seem to be as popular as other trails on Moosilauke. When hiking with my dog, "unpopular" can be a good thing because it means I can allow her (and me) more freedom. This "freedom" can also be won by starting earlier than most people. In fact doing so made the Welch-Dickey Loop, counterclockwise, a wonderful trip. It's only about 4.4 miles, but there are some nice ledge scrambles that'll allow you to gauge how you and your pup react to those kinds of conditions. And, if you and your dog feel up to it, you can shoot up to Mt. Pemigewasset right after, which is what Sugar and I have done. Doing boths hikes in the same day nets an reasonable gain of elevation. Just be sure to reward yourselves after that with some ice cream over in North Woodstock or Lincoln! (I generally wait to the end of the hiking day because, for me, when it's time for ice cream, all bets are off!)

Have fun!

Great advice!

Just wanted to add a couple of suggestions that my labs have done over the years with no problems.

N Kinsman (including pond) using the Mt. Kinsman Trail from the west.
Franconia ridge from Skookumchuck (the trip to N Lafayette is wonderful on its own)
Cabot from Mill Brook Road
Garfield
East Pond (and Little East Pond) from the Kanc

And when lots of water is required:
Nancy Pond Trail
Gordon Pond
Three Ponds Trail
Great Gulf Trail

Any combination of the Willey Range summits from Crawford Depot comes to mind...My lab had no problems, she just needed one boost going up the rocks to Mt. Avalon and that was towards the end of the day.

We did Avalon to A-Z to Tom, out and back on the range Tr. to Mt. Willey to top of Avalon Tr., down Avalon back to the car, hitting Mt. Avalon on the way. About 10 miles total, of course you could shorten it by scratching Mt. Willey.

Mt. Waumbek via Starr King Tr. was pretty (relatively) mellow too.

Last edited:
I've noticed over the years that dogs could care less about bagging peaks... they always seem to be more interested in swimming, running through mud puddles, rolling in dead things, smelling droppings of other animals, etc. And they never seem interested in going out for beer after a hike... what's up with that??? :confused: Anyways, give the Wild River Trail a consideration. It's a beautiful valley, follows water for much of the way and doesn't attract a crowd. Chica and I will be up there on Labor Day.

bobmak said:
I've noticed over the years that dogs could care less about bagging peaks... they always seem to be more interested in swimming, running through mud puddles, rolling in dead things, smelling droppings of other animals, etc. And they never seem interested in going out for beer after a hike... what's up with that??? :confused: .

Excellent point! My dogs, both past and present, just want an eight-hour walk in the woods. Summits be damned.

Another point that, depending on your specific leashing situation and how your dog hikes, a six-mile hike for a human is quite possible a 10-15 mile hike for a dog. My lab was all over the place. In a spread out group of 3-4 people, she was in the lead by 20 yards, back to the last person to check up, back to the lead, back to the last person, all day. Easily doubled my mileage I figure. My coonhound sticks close to me. Goes ahead a little, but the people behind me she couldn't care about (sorry, Mom! :D )

Dugan said:
I would be very careful about hiking anywhere with a Labrador Retriever that is only 18 months old.

With you on that, Dugan.

A Lab at 18 mo. isn't fully grown. You can't hip check a Lab until they are 24 mo. And, unfortuntely, Labs (and all large breed dogs) are prone to hip dysplasia. Sadly enough, I have some experience with this.

So, where has my HD dog been?

With one hip replacement: Moosilauke via Benton. Hale via Hale Brook. Pierce via Crawford.

With two hip replacements: Garfield. Cabot via Bunell Notch and Unknown Pond. Wildcat D via the ski trails. Galehead. The Moriah and the Carters (with a lot of help). Oh, and most recently, the Twins and Bonds -- but not recommended and probably his swan song.

Most of the time, we're out doing gentler things -- Smarts Brook, Three Ponds, Georgianna Falls, things like that.

BTW, my Lab hates Welch-Dickey (OMG -- I think I'm becoming the true resident nay-sayer on this hike!!! :eek: ) We had done it a lot, until I realize he just hates all the open ledges. Enough of that. We stick to easier things with lots of water.

Periwinkle said:
BTW, my Lab hates Welch-Dickey

Dugan too had a very rough (or, should I say, ruff?!) time with Welch Dickey too. The roughness of the rock surface of the ledges injured the pads of all of his feet. They didn't seem too bad at the time - just a little foot sore - but in the weeks that followed the outer surface sloughed off of each and every one, leaving new tender pad in its wake.

I have had mixed experiences with my dogs in the hills. My Golden Retriever was very willing but not strong enough for long hikes. Her first negative hill expreience was with a porcupine. Fortunately what she lacked in physical energy was compensated for with great trust and patience as I pulled every one of the things out on the trail. 6 months later she tore her ACL on some rough terrrain. She was active again after the expensive operation but it was the end of hiking for her.
I now have an 18 month German Shepherd and he runs with me in the hills and has considerably more energy than the Golden. I plan to take him on the bigger hills next spring and also use a dog pack. He certainly needs the exercise and is tremendously excited before we go.
I have noticed reactions to a shepherd are a lot less welcoing than to a golden so I get him back on the lead as soon as someone turns up. His capacity to drink is huge so I am concerned about catching guardia but there is no way I can carry the volume of water he needs.
Despite all these reasons for not taking a dog with me I find being with my dog in the hills is very natural and rewarding - it feels as though we should be doing this together not sitting at home bored.

Jacko said:
I have noticed reactions to a shepherd are a lot less welcoing than to a golden so I get him back on the lead as soon as someone turns up. His capacity to drink is huge so I am concerned about catching guardia but there is no way I can carry the volume of water he needs.
Despite all these reasons for not taking a dog with me I find being with my dog in the hills is very natural and rewarding - it feels as though we should be doing this together not sitting at home bored.

Good point with the difference in breeds -- no one has ever truly ran in fear from my Lab or golden, but I've seen the reactions to my friend's St. Bernard. Sad. It's like doggie discrimination.

As for true breed differences, it seems to me that Labs will make use of any smelly water on the trail. Goldens are fussier camels. Both will follow you any where, further than they physically should. And St. Bernards will Sherpa alll the water and hike twice as far.

All need to be monitored for wellness, as they will following faithfully along long past what is good for them.

It's been tough for them some days until we figured out limits as we went along, but most of the time I think the dogs have enjoyed being out there. Good trail dogs make it all seem worthwhile some days.