elevation acclimatization in CO/AZ for Pikes Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Heading west next summer planning to do Pikes Peak. Our family trip begins and ends in Colorado Springs so I can do Pikes first or last and am wondering if a week or so in CO & AZ at around 6500' helps with acclimatization for when I'll be over 10k, or not. I'm making reservations soon, which is why I ask now. thanks

A few days should be fine.

Especially since you are going up and back....if you were planning to sleep up there, you'd want to acclimatize gradually by climbing high by day/sleeping low at night.

Have FUN!!

Trailhead elevation: 6,600 feet
Barr Camp Elevation: 10,200 feet
Summit Elevation: 14,110 feet

Okay here's the other thing; (I was talking to Giggy about this and he made a good point) I was thinking about sending my wife and kids up the Cog from 6600' to 10,200' while I hike and then camp at Barr Camp. But the Gig-Meister mentioned that a quick ele. gain like that might ruin them for camping. Thoughts ?

I've gone from sea level to 10,000 ft. in a day (by air and bus) on a group trip (about 30 people) with nobody reporting any significant problems. Your family might be winded if they do any physical activities, but just hanging around a campsite shouldn't be a problem.

Going from 6K to 10K by the cog shouldn't cause tto many problems, they might get a slight headache and feel short of breath but other than that, they should be okay if all they do is hang around camp.

Brian's grandmother who is in her 80s and his parents who are in their 50s and not hikers, went from sea level to 9000+ feet with minimal issues. And I have gone from sea level to 10000+ many times with no issues.

But since everyone is different, just keep a close eye on how they are doing.

sli74

Anything helps, but am not sure 6600' is enough to provide much adjustment for 10K'+. Would be better acclimatization if you were at 8K', but ... doesn't sound like your itinerary will bring you that height.

Just do the usual - plenty of fluids to stay hydrated, plenty of rest, good carbs.

Chip - I misunderstood you on the phone. - I thought you were all going to the summit. If they are only going to 10K - then no worries at all take the ole train up!!

- I thought if they were going to 14k - then they slow hike to 10K the day before would be good for them.

sorry for the confusion -

giggy said:
Chip - I misunderstood you on the phone. - I thought you were all going to the summit. If they are only going to 10K - then no worries at all take the ole train up!!

- I thought if they were going to 14k - then they slow hike to 10K the day before would be good for them.

sorry for the confusion -
cool, 10k camp sounds fun.

You won't sleep well your first night at 10K, but otherwise you should be fine with proper hydration. Even when I lived in Colorado, I never slept well my first night at 9K+ elevation.

arm said:
here's a trip report and pics on the Barr Camp route up Pikes Peak

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1944

the trail from 6600' to Barr Camp is very easy ... dirt sidewalk folks jog on to practice for Pikes Peak Marathon ... you should have no problem with acclimization after a few days above 6K'

Barr Camp is cool but will be crowded ... they have lean-to's, and there's an A-frame shelter a few miles past Barr Camp ... the cabin could be SnoreFest
I'm making a reservation for the private cabin, this will "fly" with the wife vs the snorefest or lean-tos

arm said:
Pikes Peak's smog railway doesn't go by Barr Camp ... it passes a point called Mountain View at 10K' which is over a mile away from Barr Camp
understood, the cog and mile walk to Barr will be fine for the family as I hike up.
arm said:
if you want to avoid crowds (the tool road and smog railway are open in summer), take your family to the San Juans in SW Colorado ... a hundred times better than Pikes Peak, with some easy loop hikes that will blow your mind ...
San Juans are on the list as we are heading to Mesa Verde after Co. Springs

arm said:
hike Pikes Peak in Winter
:) also on the list of "things to do", but summer first is fine.

Thanks for all your help.