Lost Hiker "Found"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dug

Reaction score
Sad to see.... :(

I think I remembered this discussion last fall, but a search didn't immediately bring up the thread.

Release from the NH F&G

Here is a note I got from the NH F&G. Doesn't add much more info:

HUMAN REMAINS FOUND AT ABANDONED WHITE MOUNTAIN CAMPSITE

CONCORD, N.H. -- Human remains were found during a search of an abandoned remote campsite in the Pemigewasset Wilderness of the White Mountain National Forest in Lincoln, N.H., on Thursday, August 24, 2006. The search was conducted by New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers after White Mountain National Forest personnel found camping equipment at the abandoned campsite on the Cedar Brook Trail, approximately 6 miles from the Lincoln Woods Trailhead on the Kangamagus Highway (Route 112). The campsite was obscured from view of the trail and appeared to have been abandoned for a significant amount of time, according to N.H. Fish and Game Lt. Todd Bogardus.

While searching the wilderness site, a New England Canine Search and Rescue dog discovered a human skull. Continued searching by personnel from New Hampshire Fish and Game, the White Mountain National Forest, Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue and Upper Valley Wilderness Response Teams located additional remains belonging to a single individual. New Hampshire State Police Troop F detectives assisted in the investigation.

The State Medical Examiner's Office will be investigating to make a positive identification and a determination as to the cause of death.

No further information is available at this time.

Wow! Thats two people this year that have commited suicide in the pemi reletively recently..I dont understand..Maybe it wasnt suicide, but condolences go out to the family, whoever they are. Interesting they didn't go farther off the trail if they indeed did commit suicide. From what they said, it sounds like they were on the remote part of cedar, well over the height of land where few go. I love that area. -Mattl

PS. That person near gale river was found near priest hill or Big Bickford. He commited suicide and they found his remains.

Last edited: