Peekamoose hiker found dead.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrisisBill

Reaction score
From the Times Herald Record:

Cops find hiker dead in Ulster
August 28, 2006

Denning – New York State Police were investigating the death of a hiker late last night, officials said.
The hiker was in the Peekamoose Mountain area in Ulster County, officials said. Initial reports said the man may be in his late 40s or early 50s. His identity was unknown as of last night. Investigators were on the scene and no details were immediately available last night.

Hmm. He was in his late 40s to early 50s? I'm 60 and have hiked Peekamoose and Table solo as well as many other trails in the Cats and the Sierras. This story has made me think about hiking solo (haven't shown it to my wife yet), but I don't think it will deter me.

Wow, my daughter needs Peek and Table for her 35. If the weather wasn't so bad we would have been up there. Curious to hear the details. Very sad.

"Cops find hiker dead in Ulster"

Makes me wonder if the Ulster cops are out there hiking? If so, good for them, keep the trails safe! ;)

There are so many details left out of this article that will have to be filled in later... sad story though.

Jay

Pat, Marge, and I hiked Peekamoose and Table on Wednesday, August 23. We met only one hiker, a man of about 50. He was nice, a real connoisseur of views. We caught up with him on the way up and met him again at a lower Peekamoose ledge on the way back, where we chatted and we left him. That would be awful!

I heard an updated radio report on this. The incident occurred about 2:30 pm, Sunday, Aug 27. The hiker who died had two hiking companions who initiated the rescue (apparently by cell phone). It took the police and other rescue workers about two hours to locate the group. My supposition is that they were bushwhacking off-trail, but the radio report did not specify that.

I believe that's the 2nd hiker from Queens that passed away on the trails in the last 2 years...The other man died near Breakneck Ridge which I think is in Faunstock st park, upper westchester? Was that this past winter or 2 years ago?...There was a thread about SAR not being called in quickly...My condolences to the family....I used to live near Bayside Queens..

Breakneck Ridge is separate from Fahnestock which is further east. Breakneck Ridge is part of the Hudson Highlands State Park. I believe the person from Queens that died on Breakneck Ridge was a year ago, but it might of been 2...

Jay