osgood trail & avalanche

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadpoint

Reaction score
hello,

i'm planning a winter trip to the presidentials and i'm trying to get a feel for what the avalanche danger is like on the osgood triail? the plan is to go up osgood to madison and then over to adams and back down osgood. we thought about coming down the madison gulf trail but i looks too exposed. given that it's a ridge hike i'm not expecting much but i'd rather be safe.

does the parking area south of dolly copp require a wmnf pass?

thanks
darin

Good idea to avoid Madison Gulf in winter, there is lots of evidence of past slides in this area and the trail would be impossible to find with any significant snow cover (its a challenge sometimes in the summer). Osgood's layout would reduce avalanche potential, but its length and location means that your group should be self reliant.

You need a parking pass everywhere along route 16 from Jackson to Gorham except in the Pinkham notch lot.

thanks for the info.

we plan on spending a few nights at the osgood tent site so we don't kill ourselves to much.

darin