Bear Brook Group Campsite - BSP?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
I'm looking for info about the new Bear Brook group campsite in Baxter State Park. It's on the road to Roaring Brook, and it replaces the Avalance Brook site that has been closed down.

The BSP website includes a small map of it along with the map of Roaring Brook, but I wondered if anyone here has actually seen it and can tell me how it compares to Foster Field. The three sites there supposedly accommodate 12 people each, but is there actually room for 12 small tents?

I've skied and driven by it several times but I haven't actually driven in to look at is closely.

It is much farther from the road than Avanlanche or Foster Field, making it less prone to annoying constant drive-bys. There is a good size pavillion there.

sorry, that's all I can report.

spencer

Still looking for info on Bear Brook? Just stayed there this weekend. Great spot. Highly recommend it. 2.5 miles (10 minutes) from Roaring Brook and 19 miles (one hour) from Marston Trail.

Three group sites. Two picnic pavillions. Two privies. One site could probably hold 12 individual tents but it could be really tight and not everyone would have a level spot. Each site has three picnic tables and a fire pit. You can get firewood at the RB Ranger station for $2 a bundle.

Each site also has a very short walk (20 seconds) to Bear Brook where you can get water if you don't bring your own.

It is off the road a bit but you still hear the cars going by at 5:15 in the morning but you don't get the dust and looks from the cars going by. Much more private than Foster Field. Also the group sites are gravel and not grass. Great spot. Attached are a few pictures of two of the sites.

Thanks!

J&J, that's great info; just what I was looking for. I'm not thrilled by the gravel, but I think we can fit the tents in.

Much obliged.