What lightweight tarp to buy?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
I’ve been searching for posts on lightweight tarps but have found mostly comments on tarp-tents. I’m looking for a roughly 10’-12’ tarp to take backpacking or canoe camping. I normally string a tarp around the campsite for rain protection (sometimes wind too) and keep it elevated but ready if it isn’t raining. (Storing things overnight under a trap also keeps the dew off) I’ve used the blue poly tarps for years but want to upgrade for weight & size.

In addition to go-lite, and Kelty’s noah’s tarp 12x12, and the REI 10x10, I’ve looked at the Cooke Custom Sewing 1.9 oz and 1.1 oz sil-nylon. The latter are progressively more expensive but seem to have many useful features aside from low weight.

I don’t mind paying for the lower weight and better features but would like to hear that people who have lightweight or higher cost tarps think they are worth it.

I'd like to know the best out there too, but for now I have a 10x12 campmor sil-tarp that holds up pretty darn well. $89

I'll throw in another thumbs up for a SilTarp. The one i have is a Gray, Integral Designs and has plenty of tie out points, very strong, very light, and stuffs into a compact little package. The Sil's are a bit pricier due to material costs, but looking at the long term i think there worth it. I'd imagine any of them listed here would be a great bet for the use your looking for.

Last edited:
Ditto what KenC wrote about the I.D. tarp. I use the Integral Design's 5x8 trap w/ my bivy. Plenty of sewn in tie out points. I have no personal experience w/ gromet tie outs, but have heard that the gromets rip out of the tarps.

If you are looking for an inexpensive solution, get a big sheet of Tyvek. Sometimes, you can find a builder who will give you the end of a roll for free. Run it through your washing machine without soap before you use it to soften it up. You can buy a gromet kit at a crafts store or just wrap a small stone or acorn in the corner to make a tie down point.

I wouldn't use Tyvek (or equivalent material) for a ground cloth since it is made to allow water vapor to pass through, but it makes a decent rain tarp.

I'll put in another vote for the Campmor silnylon tarps. I have an 8x10 that I use over my hammock. It's a very secure little shelter when pitched right. I've slept through a couple of storms in it. Not bad for about $33.

I have used an integrel designs 5 X 8 for the past 4 years. It is used and abused often and I have had no problems while it has saved me from many wet meals and evenings of being stuck in a tent or bivy.

Check out the tarps at Backpackinglight.com - they are insanely light but are more tuned to backpacking. They are Cat Tarps and are not 8'x10 configurations.
Oware USA also has some tarps that are lightweight.

Integral Designs for sure and Campmor for the real bargains.

tyvek

The thing that makes Tyvek work is that it lets water vapor pass in one direction only. If you use it as a ground cloth or a tarp make sure the lettering is facing the weather. Face down for ground cloth, face up for a tarp.

Tyvek works excellent if used as WBB says. Me, I couldn't imagine paying $70-$80 for a tarp. Is a pound or two really worth that, not in my opinion. Not when $5 worth of Tyvek does the same thing-and you could fit it in you pocket.

The life of Tyvek may not be as long, but then again you could make 20 or so Tyvek tarps for that price.

WBB said:
The thing that makes Tyvek work is that it lets water vapor pass in one direction only. If you use it as a ground cloth or a tarp make sure the lettering is facing the weather. Face down for ground cloth, face up for a tarp.
According to the web site for Tyvek, water vapor will pass through both ways:

Can DuPont™ Tyvek® be used with the lettering facing in?

DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap®, DuPont™ Tyvek® StuccoWrap®, DuPont™ Tyvek® DrainWrap™ and DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® are equally effective in both directions.

8. What is the difference between DuPont™ Tyvek® and other housewraps?

Many other wraps are perforated, which means in order for them to breathe, the manufacturer has punched holes in them, resulting in a reduction of air and water holdout effectiveness. DuPont™ Tyvek® is a non-perforated, nonwoven product with microscopic pores that are so small air and bulk water have a difficult time passing through but since DuPont™ Tyvek® is breathable, moisture vapor can easily escape from the wall.

I think the key is "bulk water" the limited amount of moisture vapor that may pass thru does not cause any problems.

Mark said:
According to the web site for Tyvek, water vapor will pass through both ways:
The physics also supports that if it can go one way, it can go the other.

Temperature difference (body temp vs air temp) is what drives moisture outward through the waterproof-breathable fabrics. (This is why they work for clothing, but not tents, packs, etc.)

Doug

Campmor tarps for sure!

I've had a a 10x10 green one (I'm pretty sure it's standard poly coated not silicone) with ripstop and grommets for about 6 years and I love it. I think it cost about 40 bucks. It isn't the lightest, but it is light, and it's held up really well.

10x10 is large enought that you can do lots of things with it. Something smaller would have less options, and there are soooo many uses for a tarp it's almost sickening.