Kayaking Muscongus Bay - Maine Island Trail Association

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great trip report Carmel!

I think that a return to Muscongus Bay is definitely in order. Perhaps more kayaking and less drinking next time. :D

HEY! I used to have the only kayak avatar on the site!!!!! The yaks are taking over.

Ok, looks like I will have to create a new kayaking forum. I think I can make it so it is only visible to people that want to see it. That way it won't waste the hiker's time. I'll have to look into it...

- darren

Yah, but that is the point, in a shorter boat you can paddle and correct it. If you are in a 17' boat and it swings around on a wave, you are not going to bring it back straight. It is going to swing around and before you know it you are broadside and you have to brace in a hurry to keep from flipping. Keeping a 17' boat straight in following seas is not easy.

If you are worried about going straight, don't play with the skeg, just drop it all the way. Your boat will track like a train.

Keeping my 14' pointed relatively straight is sometimes annoying and tiring. I almost never have to have my skeg down all the way, since all I'm doing is preventing weathercocking.

p.s. Warren and i spent 4 days paddling Penobscot Bay from Stockton Harbor. We planned a 5 day circumavication of Vinalhaven but only did it in 2!!!! F'ing monster 30 mile days though... :) Pictures and full trip report soon

Jay

darren said:
Keeping a 17' boat straight in following seas is not easy.

That is *precisely* my experience. Especially in surf........

SherpaKroto said:
News Flash: I have access to a sea yak whenever I want it. It's in Scarborough, ME, so next time you head out, let me know. I'll be the slow guy in the rear, just like hiking!

Hmmm.. I've been up in Portland a lot lately, probably not again until October but if you have a boat that close....

Carmel,
Trip sounds great, just back from the trip with Jay in Penobscott Bay. It's amazing up there, wished the trip could have coincided with yours for timing. I love kayaking in the rain, most of the time.

Jay H said:
Keeping my 14' pointed relatively straight is sometimes annoying and tiring. I almost never have to have my skeg down all the way, since all I'm doing is preventing weathercocking.

Uhhhh?????? What? I think you are missing something. Yes, the skeg will keep you from weathercocking, but the skeg will also make you go straight even if you are in no wind and no current. Again, if you are trying to go straight, then just drop the skeg all the way....you WILL go straight.

- darren

...but I'm a purist and I'm trying not to use the skeg to correct paddling inefficiencies, namely me. So I try to leave the skeg up in almost all conditions...

Jay

What Jay saying ahbout being a "paddling purist" is true. We have paddled together several times and he is always getting me to work on my form and NOT to use my skeg. :mad: :D