Grace Peak (E. Dix) via slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
On Wednesday, four of us decided to tackle the slide to Grace Peak (E. Dix). I had heard so much about this slide over the years that I thought it was time to see what all the fuss was about. The herdpath leaves from Rt. 73 and winds through some of the loveliest Adirondack forest I’ve seen: lots of deciduous trees, open woods, waterfalls, “swimming holes” and the pleasant company of the North and South forks of the Boquet River. Once at the slide, I was surprised at its narrowness, as I had expected something much wider. Though there were dry spots, much of it was wet, and my boots were definitely not up to the task (the other three faired much better in that respect).
Though we did get to experience the slide, we ultimately decided on the “comfort” of the side trail that would take us up to the col and the standard herdpath to the summit of Grace. Though strewn with blowdown, the path was not difficult to follow – and at least I could stand erect! It’s been a while since we climbed this mountain, and the views from the summit were as beautiful as we remembered. It remains one of my favorite peaks, and probably Joanne’s favorite. Not only are the Dixes visible, but a wide vista that included Rocky Peak Ridge to the north, Lake Champlain, Lake George, numerous “lesser” mountains, and vistas toward Vermont. We met a few people on the summit, the only people we were to encounter that day. The canister bolted into the summit rock that we remembered has of course been replaced with a yellow marker indicating we did indeed climb the correct mountain!
Many thanks to Joe (“JoeCedar”) and his wife for the wonderful company! We were impressed with Joe’s seemingly effortless hiking ability, moving with the speed and grace of a panther through the woods, and seemingly unfazed by virtually any obstacle, as though it weren’t even there. More important, he is a consummate navigator and woodsman. I felt – most pleasantly so – that I was in the company of a teacher. Thanks Joe! We hope to have the opportunity to do more with you guys.

Pictures will follow.

Dick

Wonderful TR and pictures, folks! :) I'm looking forward to trying this route someday (couldn't work it in this summer).