Another Avalanche Pass Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMF

Reaction score
I'm planning a ski trip to the area, intending to set a base camp in the Avalanche Pass area to do day trips out of, & wondered about camping opportunities. Are there suitable sites before or after the pass? Is the pass negotiable pulling a sled?

Coming from Marcy Dam there are designated campsites and a lean-to at the point where the Avalanche Pass hiking trail/ski trail and Lake Arnold trail diverge. I guess that's about 1 mile from Avalanche Lake and about 700 ft in elavation gain. At the south end, I believe the closest campsites would be at Lake Colden.

Regarding pulling a sled I'll defer that to others.

There are no legal campsites in the pass. Just before the climb into the pass (from the Loj side), there are some designated sites and a lean-to. THis is known as Avalanche Camp. From there up to the pass is too steep to find a campsite, unless you are sleeping in a hammock. Years ago, there used to be a designated campsite just after Avalanche Lake. I don't know if it still exists... I don't know if it was legal either.. It was rather close to teh trail.

Pulling a sled.... With skis? It won't be easy. The trail is steep, zig-zaggy, and narros in places. It will be easy pulling it to Avalanche Camp and across Avalanche Lake.

I think I recall seeing Camping Discs at the sites on your left, just after passing Avalanche Lake about a year ago. They are, close to the trail, but they looked legal to me.

We used that campsite after avalance lake last february. It was really excellent. I think you could get a sled in there no problem. There are some steep sections, but i think its pretty much do-able. Just leave some extra time for navigating the small climb. The lakes are beautiful in the winter. I plan to try and pull a sled all the way to Colden in february. All I have to do is get some skis....