Fun on Flume (and Liberty) 1/4/2003

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
I'll let our esteemed organizer write the trip report, but have pictures posted HERE

Many thanks for all involved, particularly to HikerBob for his impressive organizational skills! Bob, based on how you looked (cold/flu) on Saturday, I am impressed with your drive on this hike! Considering the prehike weather report, having 20+ show up and complete this hike was fantastic.

I had a blast - I really needed a good outing, and got more than I had hoped. A fun day, and I'll hopefully be there for the next one (winter is getting booked fast!). You are a fun bunch to hike with, and I hope to run into all of you on the trails soon!

Oh, least I forget. Seema, that cake is decadent! This has to be the only hike where I weigh more now than when I started!

SK

I am REALLY sorry to have missed the hike, next time, I will be there for sure. I am glad the cake was enjoyed (Happy Birthday Blue! ) . . . Bob, thank you for your effort in organizing such a grand event and I hope to see you all again real soon . . .

sli74

Thanks to Hikerbob's planning, some luck with weather and great company - it was a fantastic day.

Sherpa - your pics are great. Here are

mine

Last edited:
It was a great hike, highlighted most of all by all the wonderful people that I met and who made the day really memorable. Thanks to you all.

BTW Blue, nice avatar...I recognize at least one foot in that group! ;)

Max

I had a fantastic time, even though I couldn't keep the pace and ended up mostly on my own. If only I'd eaten on the trip ... to this day we still have not figured out where my stuff sack of food went!

Huge thanks to HikerBob for organizing this trek, and to everyone for banding together to make it all possible (especially the carpooling).

My pictures (which I'll caption tonight) are here

I can't wait to hike again ... there just aren't enough weekends! However, I will say that "Misery" is finally getting to the bottom of the trail and reading "Parking 0.8"
:D

YAY! Finally made it home :) The drive home this morning with snow, ice, freezing rain, rain (repeat) was a slow one.

Glad to hear everyone else made it OK and had rides to cars. My thanks go to BoB (not Bob) for running me back to Lincoln Woods after the hike. I met up with him on Flume summit after he conquered the Flume Slide. Thanks also to those who popped back to see if I had finally made it down.

Next time I'm planning a hike and I say I have a cold - tell me to stay home! I am a slow hiker at the best of times (0.5 SKU) but with the sniffles, coughs and aches I was even slower.

After showering and changing at the motel I flopped on the bed for "a few minutes" but that turned into more than a few and I didn't hit the Woodstock Inn until 6:30ish. By that time everyone else had split :(

I'll save my usual ramblings for my web site and will post again when these and my pictures are up.

Glad to see reports that folk had fun :) Despite feeling like the proverbial I had a great time.

Now... where next?

Bob

Terrific job, Bob, from start to finish.

Good route, great people and a better-than-expected day. The most welcome moment was seeing all those cars pulling into the Whitehouse lot just as I finished.

John

Last edited:
Thanks Hiker Bob for a great hike. It was good meeting you on the Osseo Tr. There were great views from Flume but by the time I got to Liberty (the last one there), the clouds blew in and the wind really picked up. Check out my trip report at:
Trip Report

Check out my photos at:
Flume/Liberty Fun on the Fourth

Happy winter hiking!!!

Sniff, cough! The battle with the cold goes on :(

I still didn't finish my journal yet but HERE is a link to my pictures of the day. I appear to have taken more pictures of signs on this trip!

I'll catch up on everyone elses spin on the day today at work (shhh - don't tell anyone). My account will hardly be definitive of the day so everyone please post away. I'm sure a great time was had by all. Despite having the outward appearance of a zombie I too had a great hike.

Bob (sneeze)

Great pictures everyone!

Next time I'll plot a zig-zag course for everyone else while I take a straight line - that way I may be able to spend some more time on the trail with you guys ;)

Had to make a pick-up run to Bradley airport last night and never got home until late. Still felt cr*ppy this morning and went back to sleep after switching the alarm off (not on purpose!) so I stayed home this morning and wrote my rambles.

I'm sure they could use a proof-read and some fixing but you can find them here.

Thanks again to everyone who showed up, all for looking out for me and especially to BoB (not Bob) for sticking with me on the way down and running me to Lincoln Woods to pick up my car.

Bob

Hi Bob,

What a great trip report! Very funny and good pictures as usual. I'll have to get some stick-on icicles so you'll recognize me.

As far as who ? is in photo number 5 - that'd be Clark.

Also, it was Jaytrek57 (who I went to high school with ;) ) who swung by to check if you made it down, not me (though I was scheduled to check at 5:00).

Where are we going next?

Turnbill,

Thanks for the info, I've updated the relevant pages.

Re-assigned thanks to Jaytrek57 for popping back to see if I'd made it off the mountain, but I know everyone was asking "Where's Bob?" and keeping a watch for me :) Thanks everyone.

Where next....? I think I'll consider that when I beat this cold out.

Bob

HikerBob, I also took a quick ride to see how you were making out, spoke to "Just BoB" (not BoB), and he said he'd meet us at the Station after shuttling you over. Just wanted to make sure that you'd have at least one smiling face when you finished!

Thanks again for a great day!

I'm enjoying all the reports and pictures. Looks like all had a good day. May there be many more!

Thanks Sherpa. Had I found myself alone at the end of the hike there would still have been one big smile there :)

I'd be interested to hear what the time was when different groups were at the summits and the parking lot. If the timestamp on MichaelJ's 'flop in the snow' picture at the end of the hike is correct then I made it out about an hour later.

BoB and I thought we saw someone on Liberty when we were on Flume, that would have been around 12:20pm

Shame I missed the gathering at the Inn, next time for sure and no cold!

Bob