Zealcliff outlook??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjo

Reaction score
When coming up Zealcliff trail and joining Twinway, how much farther is it (to the right I believe) to the famed Zealcliff outlook? And then how much farther to top of Zealand Mtn? Thanks.. map isn't clear...I understand a great view!!

Yep, to the right. I don't remember the exact distance, but it's really close and pretty much flat in between. The view is great. the Zealand summit is 1.2 - 1.4 miles from there (I don't have the good map with me right now.)

It's probably about a tenth of a mile to the outlook from the junction of Zeacliff and the Twinway. It's 1.6 miles (good memory Steve) from Zeacliff to the Zealand summit spur.

- Ivy

Last edited:
We are talking feet, not miles, to Zeacliff. It's really close to the view of Zeacliff. After that, you have a bit over a mile of generally easy walking (a couple of short, steep spots.)

As you ascend the rocky slide in the lower part of the Zeacliff Trail, keep your eye out for a sharp (right-angle) turn to the left at one point.

Near the top of the trail you'll come to a chest high ledge. It took me a while to figure out that the trail goes up that ledge. Much of the trail is is wilderness area, and the trail maintainer is not allowed to freshen up the old blazes.

Bob Kittredge said:
Near the top of the trail you'll come to a chest high ledge. It took me a while to figure out that the trail goes up that ledge. Much of the trail is is wilderness area, and the trail maintainer is not allowed to freshen up the old blazes.

Yeah no kidding! When you come off of the AT and onto the Zeacliff Trail, it's like turning off 93 onto an old country lane. One of the magical places.

I'm hearing Zealcliff trail is pretty steep and strenuous? Wondering if my gimpy knee (w ITBS) can handle that...Sounds like the effort/reward ratio is high considering the view, etc...Oh well..

jjo said:
I'm hearing Zealcliff trail is pretty steep and strenuous? Wondering if my gimpy knee (w ITBS) can handle that...Sounds like the effort/reward ratio is high considering the view, etc...Oh well..
You can also get to the viewpoint and summit via Zealand hut and the Twinway Tr. Should be a lot easier on the aging knees...

Doug

Last edited:
If the goal is Zealand, then the easiest way to approach it is from the Zealand Hut side. You can get their via either N. or S. Twin, but those peaks have much steeper/rougher sections than the portion of trail passing thru the beautiful birch forest. Also - if approaching Zealand from the Twins - that section of trail just after turning left near Guyot - is very rough for about 1/3 mile. It's flat more or less, but a jumble of small boulders to navigate - not that big a deal but am always glad to get thru it. So if doing it from the Twins remember you'll have to navigate it twice.

Also - from Zeacliff over to Zealand is 1.6 as Ivy said. There are at least 3 puds along the way, so it seems longer (at least to me). There are 3 steep bits, and one of them has a ladder. They're quickly passed, and if you have any qualms, slide on your butt when descending. Not hard on the knees, though. Not as tough as they look, either.