Best of 3 short Whites hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjo

Reaction score
I know these are "easy" baby hikes but which of these 3 would be your favorite (feeling of wilderness, solitude, view, etc)?:
-Black Mtn via Chipewa
-Boulder Loop
-Black Cap
Thanks for your ideas....

Can't speak for the other two but I've done Black Cap & I'd recommend it for nice views, even blueberries in season if you look around a bit. 6 year old did it just fine, I carried the three year old at some spots because I'm impatient & paranoid about him falling, he did fine when I let him.

Mike P. said:
... I've done Black Cap & I'd recommend it for nice views...
On a reasonably clear day the views from the extensive summit ledges of Black Cap are really spectacular. If you wander around a little you'll get the complete 360. A convenient parking lot was added a few years ago for the trailhead at the height of land on Hurricane Road (closed in winter), and the one-mile hike is unusually easy.

The one downside of Black Cap is that its virtues are widely known, so it can be crowded with No. Conway visitors on a prime weekend. THe other peaks in the Green Hills Preserve - Peaked and Middle - don't have as good views (but they have some) but get hardly any traffic and the trails to them are very nice.

If you hit the trail early you will not see anyone...we started around 8am and saw no one until we were on the summit for about 15 minutes...
Black Cap is beautiful for the effort required!

If you just sit at the top from 10:00 - 4:00 I'd say no solitude on a nice day but summit area is large enough you do have to walk a bit to the other views, especially the one towards ME that you can see less people.

It's not Monadnock on a Holiday weekend (Quincy Market) but it's not as quiest as East Sleeper (viewless BTW) on a rainy Spring Thursday either (a rainy spot in the woods on a weekday that's Solitude)