...when the lighting strikes...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score

ah, the last good Aerosmith song...

Well, actually - it was my hike on Saturday.
In spite all my alledged experience and reading of everything, Tuco and found ourselves caught in quite a t-storm about halfway down the Gale River Trail on Saturday afternoon.
We just kept moving down and out as fast as we could, but were not totally sure of what the best plan would have been after getting caught...
The storm was pretty rough and violent, but I never thought it was too close....maybe 3 seconds at the worst between lighting and thunderclaps...
We just kept moving except for once when it seemed to close and we stepped off the trail under some better cover and off the trail/river bed for a couple of minutes...

Any thoughts on the best thing to do? We were pretty much just trying to get out of it as fast as possbile and figured the higher trees were more likely targets than us - but these could have been famous last words....

sapblatt said:

Any thoughts on the best thing to do? We were pretty much just trying to get out of it as fast as possbile and figured the higher trees were more likely targets than us - but these could have been famous last words....
Well, any metal poles might be best left 50 feet or more away while you wait for the storm to pass.

Here is a reference for more tips:

http://www.ehow.com/how_9145_avoid-lightning-wilderness.html

When a bolt has travelled thousands of feet, small things such as crouching, ground insulation, etc will have a negligable effect (items 6 and 7 on that page) . You're talking about huge voltages that do whatever they want.

Another thing. You won't even know when it hits you. When I was hit, all I remember was getting up from the ground, about 6 feet from where I remembered I was, and hearing my sister screaming. I had to be told that I was hit*.

This reminds me of a presidential trip I took quite a while ago. Had to skirt the Jefferson summit cone due to a very visible and loud thunderstorm coming up towards us from the dry river wilderness. We ended up actually running across the sphinx col, clay, and were somewhat up washington when it hit us like a ton of bricks. Lightning and hail in June. I distinctly remember being hunkered down on my backpack with the hail rocketing past my head at 45 degrees over the rim of the great gulf. Amazing.

The advice I was given when you're not near trees in a storm:
Pick a spot somewhere near rocks, if possible, not at the height of land if possible, and sit on your pack. it will serve as additional insulation. If you're with others, spead yourselves out, at least 50 feet apart. Crouch down between your knees and cross your fingers.

If you're in trees, stay away from the largest trees, especially pines. They, when struck, can send 2x4-sized projectiles at a deadly speed in all directions. Stick to smaller trees, with larger ones at a safe distance.

Pete_Hickey said:
When a bolt has travelled thousands of feet, small things such as crouching, ground insulation, etc will have a negligable effect (items 6 and 7 on that page) . You're talking about huge voltages that do whatever they want.

Another thing. You won't even know when it hits you. When I was hit, all I remember was getting up from the ground, about 6 feet from where I remembered I was, and hearing my sister screaming. I had to be told that I was hit*.

Whoa. But my advice has nothing on personal experience. Good to still have you around, Pete.

Just keep moving, at least you are not in a large field. I really enjoy thunderstorms at the end of a hike. Its when I get caught in them on the way up I dont like, cause then Im soaked all day. I personally am not scared of a thunderstorm unless I am above tree line, which I have managed to escape every time because I plan accordingly. -Mattl

The best way to avoid lightning is to stay home......

Ok, so that didn't mean to sound sarcastic, but its very true, and I mean every word of it. If there is a chance of thunderstorms, I almost always stay home, or I give myself at least 2 hours to get off the mountains. This Saturday I was supposed to hike Monroe but decided against it after reading the forecast. We did Monadnock instead and were treated to beautiful skies and got off the mountain hours before and thunder rolled through. Best way to avoid lightning....don't put yourself in its way...use common sense and don't hike when there is a chance.

On a personal side note....there is nothing else I am more scared of than lightning so I don't mess around. Just thinking about it and the experiences I've had in the past makes me nervous.

grouseking

Last edited:
We were on the Lincoln Brook trail coming down from Owlshead on Saturday when it got so dark that someone commented, "I'm about to pull my headlamp out." We could see some eerie orange and reds just like a sunset but it was only 3:00! It descended on us in a puff of cold wind then the rain and hail came.

7 of us walked as fast as we could on the muddy rooty mess and the lightning was very close when we made the two worst crossings. Flash of light and then and earthshaking boom. It was scariest at those two places. Our trip leader SJ was carrying aluminum flag-poles and had to sprint across the swelling river. It rained so hard after that that I swear, it was raining UP. :eek:

Wildnerness Trail Aftermath
DSC_0059.jpg

Pete_Hickey said:

Pete may be right that the suggested actions in a lightning storm may have a negligible affect. I still wouldn't let that thought keep me from trying every possible way to lessen the chance of being struck or the effect of being struck. Even a small increase in survival odds in an already unlikely event may be important.

My wife and I were caught in a lightning storm some years back in Brooklyn. We were less than 2 miles from home when the storm came blowing in, but we had to cross the highest point of land in the area to get home. We were only 1/2 mile from home when the storm hit directly above us. So we opted to get back downhill and hunker down in the middle of a road, rather than risk that last stretch. Two people were killed less than 200 yards from us, where they were taking shelter under a tree at the high point of land.

I also got caught on Saturday, coming down 19 Mile Brook after flying the flag on S. Carter. I did the same as you (kept moving), and would do the same if it happens again. Which it will, since I have a knack for getting caught in thunderstorms. Unlike Pete Hickey, I have managed to avoid being struck, but I have had several extremely close calls.

Pete_Hickey said:
True to a certain extent. The path of lightning is set by a sequence of short "leader" dischagres--the main bolts usually follow the leader path. These leader discharges take the "easiest" path (which is not obvious to humans and not a straight line). There are certain generalities that influence the probablity of a spot being hit. All else being equal, anything that sticks up above the surrounding terrain (eg a lightning rod, a peak, a ridge, a tall tree, a boat out on the water, a person standing on a ridge, a person standing in a flat field, etc) is more likely to be hit. Whether the object is metal or not makes little difference--besides, any wet object is conductive enough.

A pole (metal or not) sticking up will probably increase your chance of being hit somewhat. Metal next to your body (eg a pack frame) will probably have little effect on your chance of being hit. However, metal objects can affect the route of the currents, so you might get skin electrical burns near metal on or close to your body.

There is another factor--ground currents. When there is a ground strike, the charge has to be dissipated. So just being near the strike point can result in a serious or fatal shock. Crouching down (to reduce the chance of a direct strike) on a sheet of metal (to route the current abound you) or on an insulating sheet (to reduce the amount of current that goes through you) reduces the chance of injury. Also avoiding caves (wet cracks may route ground currents into them), streams, ditches (the voltage can be higher across a ditch), etc reduces the chance of injury from ground currents.

When a ground current flows, the voltage between two points is approximately proportional to the distance along the current path between the two points. So, supporting yourself on one foot is best (no hands or poles for balance...), two feet right next to each other is better than two feet spread apart. Don't forget that holding hands or just touching one another provides a good path for ground currents...

The strike can also take multiple hops--for instance, a bolt can hit a tree, travel part way down the tree, and then jump to something else--including you.

The heat from the current can vaporize water in tree trunks and cause them to explode or cause a strip of bark to explode off. Damp clothing can also be blown off.

Moving vs stationary probably makes little difference. The best strategy is generally to move away from a bad spot toward a better spot. If you are in a relatively safe spot and the route ahead looks less safe, consider stopping and waiting the storm out.

Yes, lighting can, and often does, strike the same spot multiple times. If it hit here once, then "here" is not a good place to be...

A car is fairly safe, not because of the rubber tires (a 1000ft spark isn't going to be bothered by a 6in gap), but because of the metal cage around you.

When a group is "hit", it is frequently due to ground currents. (The bolt itself may be more localized.)

Spreading a group out is a good idea--that way if someone is struck, others are available for rescue. If you stay in a tight group, all or most can be incapacitated.

Lightning shocks the brain and heart. A sufficient shock to the brain will stop breathing. The heart clamps down and wil usually restart on its own (but will stop if breathing does not resume). Immediate treatment should be directed toward those who are not breathing and appear dead--if they are moving or groaning they do not require immediate attention. Artificial respiration is required for the non-breathers, possibly for an extended period. Add CPR if the heart stops. Most survivors have no significant residual disabilities, but lighting victims can have severe long-term problems, so they should get a medical checkup. (Paraphrased from Wilkerson.)

More info on treatment in Wilkerson, "Medicine for Mountaineering".

Doug

Last edited:
Doug -
Thanks for the info - if you get caught do you do all of these things?? I am just curious...
The main factor we dealt with was just trying to be in "less" dangerous spots. Was very happy not to be above treeline, etc.

sapblatt said:
Doug -
Thanks for the info - if you get caught do you do all of these things?? I am just curious...
Wow! Quick response--hadn't even finished my cleanup edits...

I have used some of the strategies that I mentioned. Fortunately, I've never been hit or close to anyone who was hit. Closest was a house across the street from the one that I was in was hit--the bolt hit a tall tree, jumped to a gutter, and set some shingles smoldering. No one hurt, but there was a flash and a very loud bang.

Doug

For some comic relief picture Mike and I racing across the last Gale River crossing as the thunder booms and the lightning crackles- and then I fall forward on my hands and knees and then drop one of my poles as the river rages by. Finally found my hiking pole under water, grabbed it and ran. :eek:

Clearly have never been in a storm that loud for so long while hiking. Being wet stopped being an issue pretty quickly.

The best way to avoid rain, lightning and thunder is don’t hike with Sapblatt :D

Last edited:
I spent two months in Colorado this summer, including a 15-day thru-hike of the CO Trail and a bunch of 14ers, and became rather, uh... "educated" in the subject of lightening, running off more 12,000-14,000 foot ridges than I care to remember. :eek:

Daily afternoon T-storms are almost a given in the CO mtns. in a July and August, so you won't get much hiking done if you elect to stay home due to a chance of T-storms! :eek: The key out there is to start early and get off ridges by noon (not as easy to do when you have multiple ridges to climb and cross in a day and are trying to get lots of miles in).

My worst experience was hair-raising static :eek: on the summit and upper reaches of Mt. of the Holy Cross, northernmost 14er in the Sawatch Range. Oddly, I never did see lightening that day but did make pretty good time gettin' off the ridge!

My favorite tip was from some mtn. bikers who said "Don't worry--if you get struck, you probably won't die." :D

Last edited: