Monument Mtn-Gr Barrington, Mass.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjo

Reaction score
Bussiness and rain kept me confined to the Red Lion in Stockbridge, Mass for 2 days but on my first "free day" Friday, I was greeted by continued rain. Finally @ 1030AM, I headed to the closest and easiest trailhead:Monument Mtn. Driving there, the rain stopped. Considering my good fortune but late start, I scrambled hurriedly (forgetting my camera) and headed to the trail expecting that the rain would resume at any time (it didn't) It was damp but the woods were still beautiful. I liked this country and the climb to the top was pleasant and pretty "easy" going. Soon reached the big rock "monument" with inscription and placque followed by many interesting rock formations. The view from the top was good but I frankly enjoyed the hike and climb even more. Its very nice country and for me (now a starved MidWest resident), a welcome respite!! Nice short easy hike with a view in great woods!! And the rains held off. Sorry about no pics but the cam was safely :) in the car!! Thanks for your tips, etc..Great rainy day hike!!
I'll try to post my hike in the Holyoke range w/pics separately!

Nice trip report! I see this mountain every time I go visit our daughter who attends school in the area and have longed to hike it. It appears that I wil finally be able to do it this weekend, as my wife and daughter are going clothes shopping (three's a crowd).

Best regards,
Marty

marty said:
Nice trip report! I see this mountain every time I go visit our daughter who attends school in the area and have longed to hike it. It appears that I wil finally be able to do it this weekend, as my wife and daughter are going clothes shopping (three's a crowd).

Best regards,
Marty

Marty: you won't be disappointed..Its a great short hike. Lots of reward for little effort in very nice woods/country.Enjoy and don't forget your camera.. :)

Another great short hike, probably shorter than monument mt is Laura's Lookout just south of Stockbridge on Rt 7. There is a neat little observation tower with the various mtns pointed out in a little compass rose.

Jay

There's a "waterfall" on the trail up from the north side. It is rather unusal and the time I hiked it the water was flowing in very small streams spaced closely apart. It reminded me of the strings on a harp. Did you see this?

Stan said:
There's a "waterfall" on the trail up from the north side. It is rather unusal and the time I hiked it the water was flowing in very small streams spaced closely apart. It reminded me of the strings on a harp. Did you see this?

Stan: Wasn't aware of the waterfall. No, didn't see it...Next time. Wish I lived closer to that mtn.

Stan said:

Stan - did you mean Monument Mt. or Laura's Tower? If it is Monument, I will check it out! If it Laura's, I never noticed it. May have to go back!!

Marty

Both Monument Mt. and Laura's Tower are within 10 minutes of my house. Both are nice short hikes. Laura's Tower is the one with the tower at the top. Be sure to check out Ice Glen while at Laura's Tower. Ice Glen has some amazing rock formations, and a few of the largest White Pines anywhere. Also, ice has been found in the rock crevices in July. It's definitely worth seeing.

marty said:
Stan - did you mean Monument Mt. or Laura's Tower? If it is Monument, I will check it out! If it Laura's, I never noticed it. May have to go back!!

Marty
Monument Mt. I remember it being on a short path to the left ascending, perhaps 20-30 yards off the main trail. It may be easy to miss if you're not looking for it but I saw it in some trail description so I had an eye out for it.

I did Monument on Saturday. My wife and daughter dropped me off there while they went shopping. Excellent little mountain. Some some glimpses but views were limited due to thick clouds. It was so much fun I actually decided to actually ascend it twice. After the hike, I walked 2 miles or so on Route 7 to the Barrington Brewery for a cold one!

Stan, I did see the waterfall that looked like strings like a harp. Very sweet! This is definitely a really cool mountain!!

Marty

Marty: No, its not the Bonds or Khatadin but a great little mtn very accessible. Great when you're in that area. Now that I'm back in MW, I miss it and the many NE hiking options. Glad you enjoyed as well as the cold one. I didn't know about the brewery either or the falls...