Spider Camp and "Cold Weather Research Building" (sic) removed at Wild River

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
Spider Camp and "Cold Weather Research Building" (sic) removed at Wild River

The Forest Service reports that the Spider Camp and an Army "Cold Weather Research Building" near Wild River have been removed.

I suppose some of you might be among the occasional unauthorized users of the former, so plan accordingly. But what I really want to know in posting this thread:

What exactly was the U.S. Army "researching" in the 1950s in a small building that apparently was accessible by "bushwhack only"? Things get plenty cold in Gorham and Berlin, without having to drive miles into the boonies and then hike to find "cold" weather.

Given the timeframe, I can think of some other USA activities that might have warranted shielding from prying eyes. Anybody got any info? Local rumors? SK, any scuttlebutt from your boyhood that you might want to share????

sardog1 said:
What exactly was the U.S. Army "researching" in the 1950s in a small building that apparently was accessible by "bushwhack only"? Things get plenty cold in Gorham and Berlin, without having to drive miles into the boonies and then hike to find "cold" weather.

Does Moonshine freeze? :D

Ask CRREL!

The Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory in Hanover, NH probably knows this answer. Certainly one I can't dig up myself.

I'm willing to guess that the answer is fairly mundane. crrel basically tests EVERYTHING that the military uses in cold weather to make sure it can stand up to it. Trucks, explosives, electronics, you name it. I'm sure the research building was at one time related to the main laboratory and used for field testing of various small equipment.

The link below goes to the libraries of these research facilities. The NH contacts would certainly get the gung-ho researcher on their way to answering this one...

http://itl.erdc.usace.army.mil/library/contactus.html

Last edited: