Maine Moose Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
I see that moose season in Maine begins tomorrow. Is hunting allowed virtually everywhere, or how does that work? Would I have to worry about hunters near the Appalachian Trail, for example? I was hoping to hike in the Barnjum area.

No problem, Maine has a split Moose season. The first week starting tomorrow is in the Northern Zones only. This is above Moosehead Lake and Baxter. The Second week Oct 9-14 includes the Jackman-Rangeley-Bethel areas as well as the Northern zones again. And as always Sundays are No Hunting days.

I am not a hunter and wonder how the rules work. Moose don't seem too difficult to find nowadays. I was on Rt 16 yesterday, about 7 am, west of Rangely and a big mature male was just standing in the road. I stopped the car about 200 feet away and we looked at each other for a minute or so. Eventually he turned around and headed back into the woods. My questions: can a hunter get out his/her rifle and shoot him right there, or are there certain areas where this can or cannot be done? Are the AT areas and boundrys off limits?

That’s good news about the definition of the northern zone; thanks. Northern and eastern zones were mentioned in the paper, but they were undefined, and I didn’t see anything online, either, just a list of permit winners.

Paradox, certainly hunting along the border is allowed on the Canadian side, at least, witness all the hunting stands in the trees in ZEC Louise Gosford. I have no idea when the season begins. Last year, when Susan and I were on Bear Brook Road trying to climb White Cap we met a border patrolman who told us that often hunters will shoot a moose from the Canadian side then pursue it into the United States, and he was trying to guard against that. That was on September 11, 2005, but I don’t know if he was on his way to the border that day to check on it or not. If he was, that would imply that the season was under way.

To answer Paradox's question, here are a few highlights from our hunting laws in Maine:

Shooting within 100 yards of dwelling. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm or crossbow within 100 yards of a residential dwelling or a farm building used for sheltering livestock, machines, or harvested crops without permission from the owner, or in the owners absence, an adult occupant who dwells in that location.

Shooting from a motor vehicle or motorboat or possessing a loaded firearm or crossbow in or on a motor vehicle. It is unlawful to shoot while in or on a motor vehicle or motorboat or have a loaded firearm or crossbow while in or on a motor vehicle, trailer, or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle except as specifically allowed.

Shooting from or over a public paved way. A person is guilty of hunting from or over a public paved way if that person shoots at any wild animal or wild bird from any public paved way or within 10 feet of the edge of the pavement of the public paved way or from within the right-of-way of any controlled access highway or discharges any firearm or crossbow over a public paved way (any road treated with bituminous or concrete material).

Hunting is allowed at certain state parks, including portions of Baxter. In state parks, the discharging of any weapons from or within 300' of any trail, picnic area, camping area, campsite, parking area, building, boat launching site or other developed area or bridge is prohibited. Loaded weapons are not allowed on the treadway of any trail posted "Closed to hunting".

Hunting is generally allowed on public reserved lands. Loaded firearms are not permitted in campsites, on marked hiking trails, or at boat launching sites and picnic sites and shall not be discharged within 300 feet of such areas.

In the WMNF, the public land within National Forests is open to hunting. Portable tree stands that do not damage live trees may be used.

Regarding the Appalachian Trail, hunting, trapping, and/or possessing a weapon is prohibited on land administered by the National Park Service for the Appalachian National Scenic Trail.

See IF&W's hunting and trapping laws page for more details.

border patrolman who told us that often hunters will shoot a moose from the Canadian side then pursue it into the United States, and he was trying to guard against that

Wow- I'll sleep better tonight knowing the border patrol is keeping us safe from those moose hunters. Our tax dollars hard at work...

Unless you are planning to hike along established roads, I wouldnt worry about moose hunters. The primary challenge to moose hunting is to find a way of shooting one so that it can be hauled out of the woods before it spoils, therefore, most hunters scout the area in advance of the hunt then figure out where they can find a moose close to a road.

On the other hand, it is the moose rutting season so be careful for any mosse you meet in the woods, they get kindof ornery this time of year :eek: