Tell Me Where to Go!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Options

Do you want to trudge through waist deep powder, or hop along on a well packed trail?

Do you want to see other people, or are you looking for isolation?

Do you want to summit one of the mountains, or do you want to go for a walk in the woods?

How many hours do you want to be outside for?

My favourites: northern presidentials, out of appalachia.

the wall.......

good questions all. i should have provided some stipulations. a little of everything i suppose. i want to top out on a peak and if there's waist deep snow (can't imagine there are too many areas outside of the presidentials with those kind of conditions) that's a plus. outside during daylight hours...

thanks!

Conditions right now seem to be bombproof crust rather than waist-deep snow. Crampons are probably much more important than snowshoes, though both should be handy.

What other peaks have you climbed up here? Do you have experience in the winter above treeline? If the answer to the last question is no, I'd suggest something smaller (but still wonderful) to start. A trip like Moosilauke from Glencliff, Jackson or Pierce from Crawford Notch, or Mt Liberty from Franconia Notch might be a good choice.

If you have some serious winter mountaineering experience than a trip up Madison or Adams would be a good choice. Keep in mind that temps this weekend will be bitter cold, single digits at best. The Mt Wash forecast for Sunday is a high of 3F with high winds. Not a great day to be up high.

-dave-

Given the cold this weekend, I would recommend not going for any extended periods above treeline. Wind chills of 20 to 30 below 0 just aren't that much fun. By the same token, though, temperatures this cold mean a wonderful clarity to the air and great views.

So a hike that's wooded and sheltered right up to an open summit would be my recommendation. Something like Falling Waters just up to Little Haystack, or Mt Hight, or a ski up to Zealand with a hike to Zeacliff.

Based on last weekend, you will definitely need crampons, even down low where trails filled with water during the rain then froze and the center of the trail is a slippery zone just waiting to crack your tailbone.

Personally, I'm hiking between the fridge and the couch, watching the Patriots play.
:D

If you are thinking the Moats, you might want to look at Kearsage North. It has excellent sun exposure and about two thirds of the trail is sheltered from North west winds. Plus the firetower on top is a great place to warm up on a windy day. (It also helps that Moat Mountain brewery is right down the road !)