Mt. Mansfield?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadFred

Reaction score
Although I skied this mountain a few times many years ago, I have never climbed it. I understand it's a rather straightforward (and, dare I say, easier) hike than many winter peaks. But I would like to bag Vermont's highest. [I do most of my winter climbing in the ADK High Peaks.]

Planning to stay around Stowe this Sat night with a day hike up Mansfield on Sunday. Any thoughts/advice would be welcome. (Also, are there any potential glissade opportunities off the top that avoid the ski slopes?)

Thanks everyone,
DeadFred

There is a thread on the AMC bulletin board on climbing Mount Mansfield, I suggest that you look at it rather than having us repeat what was said there.
I understand it's a rather straightforward (and, dare I say, easier) hike than many winter peaks.
Straightforward, yes, and the route up the LT is rather short. But the Profanity Trail is very steep (hence its name), though it will give you a nice glissade on the way down.

I have not yet done the Sunset Ridge in winter, but I know that on a nice summer day it is spectacular. Maybe this is the year that I do it in winter?

Have you considered climbing Hunger Mountain and Camel's Hump? I live In Waterbury and have climbed all these mountains numerous times winter and summer and while Mansfield is nice unless you take the Long Trail from the south, which is much longer you will be seeing skiers and boarders doing the out of bounds thing.

Hunger Mountain and Camel's Hump are close to Stowe and are short enough that you might be able to squeeze in one or more on your trip. Look for the Northern Cartographic map of the region it is really excellent.

You can also read my trip report from december 29th (long trail-Profanity)

Tahawus,
Good tips-thank you. I actually climbed Camel's Hump more than 10 years ago and would like to go back as I did it in summer and now want to enjoy it winter. Haven't been up Hunger yet but it's on the list now, thanks to your tip.

Meo,
Thanks, I had already seen that post and it's definitely helpfull. Would you recommend this route over others?

Profanity is the way I usually go in the winter, less exposure. If you have had fresh snow of any quantity it can get quite deep in there. I have spent an hour pushing my way up through the deep and steep for only a .25 mile gain. If the wind isn't bad and its warm enough to soften the crust you can follow long Trail.

For the terminally adventurous Hell Brook is another option. It is about half a mile further up the road and easy to miss. As steep as a ladder for the first part and pay close attention to the blue blazes as it is easy to lose track of the trail. certainly not the easiest way up the mountain.

Wherever you go on that side of the MT. there is a good chance you will meet a skier or boarder coming down (sometimes carrying their broken equipment over their shoulder ;) ). This can muddle the trail a little. Good Luck and have fun and don't forget all the apres snowshoe fun that awaits you down in Stowe.

As of december 29th, Sunset ridge and Laura Cowles were both broken (saw a lot of hikers on SR). A loop involving both trails remains my favorite way (by far) to climb Mansfield. Sunset Ridge has a long part over the treeline and the ridge walking is stunning. As Tahawus said, expect some snowboarders on Profanity (the gully is steep but less exposed than the big pitch on LT' end).