Whiteface via Lake Placid canoe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko

Reaction score
October 14 and 15

A couple of us are planning to Canoe from Lake Placid to Whiteface and climb the Lake Placid slide to the summit then canoe back. An 8 mile canoe round trip and 8 mile hike up an easy slide ascent 3,000ft. I di dthe trip a few years ago and it was one of those classics. Ofcourse it is the end of the year for canoeing so it may be a little chilly. You can rent canoes at several places in Lake Placid region. Some are planning to stay at the Ark & Constitution Trail Inn or at the ACC for camping.
As for the Sunday well we'll do whatever takes us.

All welcome I have the coordinates for canoe rentals and the Loj

Jacko

I'll join you for the canoe trip and hopefully my foot(feet) will let me at least attempt the slide.
It's always looked an interesting route looking over from Saranac lake on the drive back to Montreal.
Any idea how long this will take?

Sounds as if it may be an interesting trip. I'll keep my eye on this post and may try and join you. I will not know until closer to the date.

alistair said:
Sounds as if it may be an interesting trip. I'll keep my eye on this post and may try and join you. I will not know until closer to the date.
I boated across LP and climbed up Whiteface for my 46R finish. I've also descended that slide. Both were way cool trips! Actually, to me, any ascent of Whiteface (I've done 2 in summer and 2 in winter) is way cool! :D

Enjoy!

prino said:
I'll join you for the canoe trip and hopefully my foot(feet) will let me at least attempt the slide.
It's always looked an interesting route looking over from Saranac lake on the drive back to Montreal.
Any idea how long this will take?
Prino,
The trip is a whole day - the canoe rentals are open at 9.00 so you start on the lake at about 9.30 and get back to Lake Placid around 5 or 6
Yes you can see the slide very easily from that route and it shows its great length too.

Not to hijack this thread, but I’m hoping to do this exact trip as an overnight or full weekend in winter. Is there a place near the lake where it is ok to leave a car(s) for the weekend? The plan is to pull sleds across the lake and either camp on Moose Island or Whiteface Brook.

BTW a paddle and hike of this route is something I’ve also wanted to do, I just can’t fit it in for that weekend. I look forward to a trip report.

Last edited:
Lumberzac,

Lake Placid has one marina that you should be able to park your car at. You might check with the dockmaster first though. As you can imagine there are not many boaters during winter there!

You might also think about hiking in along the trail from 86 along Connery Pond to Whiteface landing. I didthis in February, 2004, to the Landing then up to the lean-to along the brook. This is a very beautiful trail during the winter. You will encounter Coyote tracks all through that area during that time of year. Also there is usually no one there even on weekends.

Just one more thought. In winter the winds on the frozen lake can reach 25 to 35 mph and make dragging sleds unpleasent at best. Even following the shore line might prove a hardship.

With all that I have said, I love hiking in the Lake Placid Area during the winter. Especially end of January early February. I try to be up there every year. I hope your hiking trip is a great one.

Billy V