Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exp. Weight Long johns Question

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul
    And let me respond by stating that is my experience.

Doug
    And I used to believe the same things you did until I tried something new. And I was pleased when I learned something I didn't know before.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb
    And I used to believe the same things you did until I tried something new. And I was pleased when I learned something I didn't know before.
    If you disagree with what someone else says, produce some evidence. "Smart" remarks denigrating other's expertise are inappropriate and counterproductive.

I have owned merino wool long johns for 30 years. I have some experience with them, as well as cotton fishnet, wool fishnet, wool, polypropoline, and polyester. Others may have experience with other materials.

Individuals respond differently to exercise in the cold and opinions can differ. There is more than one good way of dealing with this problem and reasonable people can disagree which is best without being disrespectful.

Doug

Wink

I have one set of all 3 weights and this is typically how it works out:

Lightweights: I like REI ones, nice and light and they tent to work good for prety low cost. Use these on cold but not that cold days - fall, spring, warmer winter days. I also use these in summer cascade mountain climbs

Midweights, I have a set of the EMS bergelene ones - I love the thumbholes on these and they work good - pretty much use them all winter and on colder fall/spring days.

Heavyweights-(northface bottoms, ems top) kind bought them by accident, b/c found out the hard way, they are way to warm for anything - even in below zero temps. Like doug, etc.. mentions earlier. They are good for at camp, sleeping, etc.. and work well as light fleece for say - a fall weekend like this one coming up - for at camp. anyone who hikes in these has no body fat at all - maybe frodo or stinkyfeet uses these
    Accomplishments:
    Fastest known time around the flume visitor center boardwalk
    Voted the "best barnes field" party organizer 2008
    Only person to get bit by a dog on mt washington
    Most known ascents of the picnic tables on the kanc
    Most rounds of the pinkhman notch visitor center stairs - also fastest known time of climbing the stairs from the gear room to the gift shop
    Adopter of la casa in millinocket and the cheap beer store in gorham

Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb
    Let me just respond by stating that the best way to compare the two would be to try them in the field in a variety of conditions, not merely regurgitate data that was developed in a laboratory environment.
    I couldn't agree more. However I only want to purchase one of the two options available to me. This is why I'm asking the members of this board to relate their personal experience.

Fish

Quote Originally Posted by hikingfish
    I couldn't agree more. However I only want to purchase one of the two options available to me. This is why I'm asking the members of this board to relate their personal experience.

Fish
    To help you make up your mind, refer to the Smartwool website which has lots of information that describes why wool outperforms synthetics in the field.