lehigh tunnel,Pa

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I think I have finally gone over the edge. I have gone through this tunnel once a year for 25 years visiting my sister. this weekend it hit me, "can I climb this?". Every time I see something I now have to climb it. Well, can I? If I find a place to park is it possible to climb this piece of rock. Has anyone done this?

Adk_dib said:
If I find a place to park is it possible to climb this piece of rock. Has anyone done this?

You have DEFINITELY gone over the edge over that rock pile! But why climb when you can drive? Most of the back roads crossing the ridge have parking lots where they cross the AT (one that comes to mind is the road to Blue Mtn ski area that crosses the ridge a few miles to the west at Little Gap). There are also parking areas to the east at river level in Lehigh Gap, which would give you the hike you are looking for. Also some interesting rock outcrops.

amf

Adk_dib said:
I think I have finally gone over the edge. I have gone through this tunnel once a year for 25 years visiting my sister. this weekend it hit me, "can I climb this?". Every time I see something I now have to climb it. Well, can I? If I find a place to park is it possible to climb this piece of rock. Has anyone done this?
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the AT goes over this. I did this section in '98 and I remember trying to listen for the muffled sound of trucks on the highway underneath. It was a pretty stretch of trail with nice views to the North. Just after this the AT goes down to Lehigh Gap and then climbs thru an area that was totally denuded by the old Palmerton zinc plant. I spent a night in the "Palmerton Jail Hostel". Friendly town but like most AT towns in PA it looked like it had seen better days.
Gamehiker

I live close-by and enjoy hiking that area 3-4 times/year.

The AT does go right over the tunnel (PA-476 - The Northern Extension), however, you cannot see cars entering the tunnel from North, but I beleive you can see them as they come up the highway, from the south.

You can see the highway to the north if you are on the AT about 1 Mile North (really East) of the plane where the AT intersects of the tunnel.

There are several towers up there and a service road that goes up and to within about 3/4 of a mile to the North (again east) of where the tunnel goes through, but not much else.

You don't even realize there is a huge long tunnel beneath you.

Better yet, just go and hike or mountain bike in the Lehigh Gorge. Glen Onoko Falls is a pretty area; Esp in the spring when all the mountain laurel is blooming or the fall when the leaves are changing.

Rick said:
The AT does go right over the tunnel (PA-476 - The Northern Extension), <snip>
You don't even realize there is a huge long tunnel beneath you.
Saturday May 5th 2001, during my AT section hike from Arden NY to Boiling Springs PA, I walked right over the tunnel and did not realize it!

Onestep

Lehigh

I just drove through it on Saturday on my way home. I live about an hour from the tunnel. There are many ways to get up to the AT which crosses the summit. Wind Gap is a nice stretch, though pretty far way. Lehigh Furnace is another popular area to start from. Check it out, the views from that ridge are some of the best in PA.