Pants for winter hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all -
I have not yet come up with a winter pants solution that is dry, comfortable and affords flexible temperature regulation. Was hoping some of you could share your pants systems with me. Some specific questions are:

1. What type of pants do you wear?
2. Are waterproof pants typically necessary?
3. Do you wear long johns? If so, what type?
4. Do you put on another pants layer for summiting and downhills?

Please note that my winter hikes are typically dayhikes below treeline, but can go as long as all day.

Many thanks,
Marty

marty said:
Hi all -
I have not yet come up with a winter pants solution that is dry, comfortable and affords flexible temperature regulation. Was hoping some of you could share your pants systems with me. Some specific questions are:

1. What type of pants do you wear?
2. Are waterproof pants typically necessary?
3. Do you wear long johns? If so, what type?
4. Do you put on another pants layer for summiting and downhills?

Please note that my winter hikes are typically dayhikes below treeline, but can go as long as all day.

Many thanks,
Marty

Marty -
I cannot envision a scenario where I would need long underwear while hiking - however, it can be necassary if you are camping, overnighting or stopped/stuck. They are way too hot for me when walking - and I have felt this way down to about minus 10.

The pants that I wear in winter are snowboard pants I got at TJ Maxx for $30...they have a built in gaiter, are waterproof at least in snow and real comfortable - not too hot, lots of freeedom of movement. Suspenders are real helpful, at least with my less than desirable body shape.

I generally do not have to mess with layers after I have begun, unless I am stopped for more than a few minutes on a real cold day.

what works for me

After many years of winter hiking this is what works for me- Keep in mind I tend to be warm no matter what the weather and I am usually hiking in one less layer than my hiking buddies.

In this order (usually):

1. synthethic/teckwick briefs
2. Mid weight base layer (Bergelene or similar material) long underwear
3. Hiking shorts over the base layer- this gives me lots of pockets to keep map, compass, and other toys close at hand
4. Gortex or other type of windproof/waterproof / breathable full zip shell if I get cold
5. full zip down pants in pack just in case…

I find this gives me great flexibility

winter pants

My kit is somewhat similar to ZMan-
Synthetic Jockey briefs;
Midweight Capilene bottoms;
Marmot Precip Pants (Marmot's lightweight rain pants with full zips);
This combo works great in 20-30F or so hiking and snowshoeing, not sure how it would be in anything a lot colder;
Fleece pants--I think I'd add them for hiking if it got really cold, but they don't have zips so putting them on would be a pain;
GoLite insulated full zip pants (discontinued I think) or the fleece pants for sitting around;
I also wore cheap snowboard pants before I got the Marmots.

In less than snow, but still chilly, I have worn the Capilene bottoms with a pair of Birdwell Britches (heavy duty nylon surf shorts) over them.

Last edited:
I usually wear medium weight military surplus wool pants (army or marine uniform?) over lightweight polyester long johns. The weave of wool fabric is tight enough to block up to a moderate wind, yet still breathable enough to stay dry inside. The wool also has a smooth enough finish that snow does not tend to stick and the wool itself gives you some protection against water from the outside. Only need wind pants if gets rather windy.

If it is going to be too warm (say, above 35 or so), I'll skip the long johns or wear my nylon convertable pants over the long johns. The convertable pants work very well in this application--if you get too hot, just drop the legs into your gaiters...

I have tried (breathable) fleece pants. Didn't like them. The slightest breeze blows through them and they are too hot if you put wind pants on. No middle ground.

Got the wool pants at a military surplus store.

Doug

I've gotten the PreCip pants, so I'll be trying them this winter.

The last several winters, however, I've used military cold-weather shells, bought for about $20 off eBay. One set is recent, and is GoreTex. They work fab, but don't fit so perfect. The older set ('80s vintage) is treated cotton and are a bit heavy, but fit very well and are just wonderful in everything short of a downpour. Plus, they have insulated liners (which, with added long-johns, are way overkill for cold).

Might be worth a look; I've loved 'em.

--M.

In winter I typically wear:

1. Long underwear, medium or light weight EMS bergelene
2. EMS All Terra pants- Made out of Schoeller Dryskin

Above treeline, I'll add a wind shell. I can't remember the name of the ones I use but they are very light with full zips. The schoeller material is great for most winter applications but it really shows its' limitations when the wind is blowing hard. One February on Madison, the wind was blowing very hard and the temps were below zero. I couldn't get off the peak fast enough to put my shell pants on. :eek:

This year I bought a pair of North Face Apex Atlas pants. These are a little thicker than the EMS pants I've been using. I'm hoping they will block wind better than the EMS pants. Mountain Gear has them on sale for $59.97.

I added suspenders to the Pre-Cips which are full length zipped along the sides not only for ease of getting them on/off over boots, but also in venting. For a day hike below tree line, converta pants over long Johns work fine, too. The WP/B pants do shed snow better, however. Alas, the old green wool pants are too small now. They shrunk, I think? Wear them with suspenders and you can undo the button and fly for ventilation and still keep them up!

Sporthill makes a wonderful heavyweight fabric that they market as being suitable for "Zone 3" (zero to 40 degrees) temperatures. I just checked their website and they've named the latest version "Expedition." Pat and I have been using ours for hiking and XC skiing for years, no long johns needed, although if it's zero degrees and windy, I'd add a light pair of tights underneath. They're fully breathable and although not waterproof, we've never been uncomfortable even when covered with snow. They are so tightly woven that moisture doesn't seem to get through.

I wear the same synthetic cargo shorts that I wear in the summer with full gaiters. Depending on conditions, I may wear long johns underneath. If it gets really nasty, I put the same full side-zip waterproof (not breathable) pants that I carry, but rarely wear, in the summer on over everything.

* Mid-weight poloypro underwear (REI)
* Marmot precip pants (love these!)

I've gotten through a few winters now with the above
combination, but there have been a few times when my legs
did feel cold when above treeline under extreme conditions.
(frigid temps & strong winds)

I just recently picked up a pair of 200-weight fleece pants
to throw in my pack JUST INCASE. My concern was that
the underwear and shell pants alone may not cut it if I got
stuck out there overnight. Owning multiple layers gives
you a lot of flexibility which I think is extremely important
when hiking in the winter.

Good luck with your choices.

- Bill

1. I use Sporthill windpants.

2. I find that waterproof pants are not typically necessary, but I carry Precip pants just in case.

3. I wear different weight long johns depending on the temperature. Either Smartwool lightweight, Smartwool midweight or Ibex Approach tights.

4. I don't usually have to add pants for downhills or summits unless it's windy. In that case, I add Integral Designs Denali pants (with Primaloft insulation).

I find the combination of wool long johns and breathable windpants keeps me warm and dry over a wide range of temperatures.

I have as simple setup that I've used for a long time.

Lightweight or medium weight wicking long johns (depending on the temp).

Nylon outer pants, the same zip-off's I use in the summer.
(But I did NikWax a set last year and it worked well)

If it gets really cold & windy I'll throw on the Gore-Tex outer zips.

If it gets rainy I have some Patagonia Stomrshell pants I put over everything.

This combo has worked very well for me, even down to -40°F and I can't see changing.

Last edited:
Softshells are the best things you can use in winter. It is nice not to have the plastic bag sweat feel when climbing. I have used pairs from Marmot, Ibex and REI and they have all been great with the Marmots and Ibex showing the best durability. My only hesitation from saying that the Ibex are the best pair I have see on the market is their price. They are rather steep, but will last you a long time.

Wow. Thanks to everyone for the advice!!

There are certainly plenty of options to consider. I appear to be leaning toward windproof, breathable (but probably not waterproof) pants with full or near full zips, but will continue to give this some thought.

Best regards,
Marty

Yep--lots of choices. And more than one will do the job.

There are also some aspects of clothing materials that don't get mentioned very frequently:
* Abrasion resistance: or are you planning on bushwacking or crawling over rock in these?
* fire resistance: people who sit around wood fires in synthetics are more likely to have holes in their clothing (due to flying sparks) than those who wear fabrics like wool.

For instance, I carry wool gloves for cooking in case I have to grab a hot pot.

Doug

Odd, but works for me

I've had huge issues come winter with the amount of sweat I produce. I've come up with a pretty easy set-up.

From skin out...

1- Nike stay dry tights
2- Shorts.

3- If it's windy and cold or just really cold I'll pull out some lightwieght fleece (columbia) pants. While hiking if the wind calms down all I have to do is pull up the pants above my knees to keep cool.

4- If I set out on a very cold windy day I will use some wind pants over the tights.

This year I'am going to experiament with leggings. Basiclly fleece pant legs without the top part of the pants. This way I can simply put them on like really tall gaiters, if I over heat I can just pull them off or pull them up or down.

If temps are above 20 degrees when I start, I usually wear my full zip Precip pants over shorts. If it's under 20 degrees, I put on my REI Alpine Lake Full zip pants over lightweight longjohns...