Giant via Ridge Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidStone

Reaction score
I am from out of state and will be hiking Giant via the Ridge Trail on Sunday. Weather is looking like rain all day. Will this trail pose any issues in the rain such as wet ledges or other considerations? Thanks.

DavidStone said:
I am from out of state and will be hiking Giant via the Ridge Trail on Sunday. Weather is looking like rain all day. Will this trail pose any issues in the rain such as wet ledges or other considerations? Thanks.

It could because there is a lot of open slab rock which you are climbing, steep in places. Dry it is not an issue but wet rock can be slippery. With caution shouldn't be a major problem but with wet leaves on the rock watch where you step.

Dave--this is one of my favorite hikes from the 25 years I lived in ADKs--if you have any alternative plans, it would be a shame to do this on a rainy/no visibilty day--that said, if you do go, i echo AntlerPeak's comments--a good bit of open slabby rock (superior views) and some "steep" up high, but nothing too serious if you exercise caution in the wet---jim

Rpr

In June when I did this one it was slippery coming back down to New Russia, but other wise it was totally doable. 4700' vertical in 6.7 Miles to Rocky Peak Ridge summit was pretty tough. Blueberry cobble and Mt. Mason are easy. Bald Peak is one of my absolute favorite places ever and the high ridge between Rocky Peak 4060' and Rocky Peak Ridge Summit 4420' is totally exposed and windy making for an exhilerating experience. One of my favorite routes.

You'll have more of a problem with all the wet roots than the slabs, which actually have a bit of a grip considering how much traffic they get. The descent to the RPR col is much more slippery, though there are some slicker rocks about 3/4 of the way up the ridge trail to Giant.

Giant is a peak best climbed on a stellar day, but in the wind and rain you'll get a different kind of thrill, for sure!

If it's real rainy and you just want to get out and explore you can go down the Lake Road in the AMR and check out stuff like Beaver Meadow Falls, Rainbow Falls, maybe go up Gill Brook (will be a little slippery but beautiful in the rain) and check out Fish Hawk Cliffs and/or Indian Head, which might be below the cloud deck. If the deck is above 3500', Rooster Comb and Snow would have great views and can be done together for a nice day hike.