what story is told here?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
What I guess to be hawk scat was at the very peak of Middle Sister of Chocorua summit on Saturday morning. I think the berry shells are of mountain ash, and the little bone is about one inch long.

Thanks for any input.

Happy Trails :)

In general, raptors are strictly carnivorous. What makes you say hawk? I'd go with coyote...

How about this for a story??

Partridge sitting on rock gorging on Mountain Ash berries.

Raptor swoops in on unsuspecting fowl.

Raptor devours fowl and leaves bone.
:eek:

Just a theory :)

Got an email from Jeff who said:

I believe it is bear puke.
Bears frequently regurgitate after ingesting / overeating. I've seen this stuff in old mountainside apple orchards.
As far as the bone is concerned, bears are omnivores, and may have either killed or picked on the carcass of a small animal.

Sounds good to me....maybe the bear had too much doctor... :eek:

- darren

I didn't know that hawks/raptors were strictly carnvivorous. I was thinking hawk because it was right on the very peak and I've seen hawks cruising the area for weeks. However, there is plenty of bear/coyote/ect. food in the immediate area. This past winter I saw lynx tracks there as well.

I like Jeff's suggestion of vomit instead of feces, makes sense. Thanks for all the input!

Happy Trails :)

I go with vomit as well. I know bears have a tough time with mountain ash berries, as there is a local road that is covered with piles of bear puke every fall. Makes sense for the diversity that this was an omnivour, but not much for a bear...

I vote for spontaneous partridge combustion though!