Border Swath Maintenance

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spencer said:
FYI - The US-Canada border swath is in great need of maintenance. This BDN article might be of interest to peakbaggers.
I saw another article like this a year or so -- if the US govt is willing to reimburse me for gas money, I'm willing to head up to Pittsburg with my loppers & spend a few hrs, esp. if it's somewhere interesting. (too busy this fall though) I've only been to 4th Connecticut Lake, helped make some new bog bridges for TNC back in 2001.

So maybe it was the Canadians who "maintained" the section between Mon. 473 and 471 but left all the slash in the middle of the swath?

I noticed clearing in progress around Twin Peaks last month - I actully heard 2 guys with chain saws. But I stayed out of their sight and couldn't catch what language they were speaking. Someone (probably a surveyor) had layed out a white thread along the as-yet-uncleared section there. I guess so the cutters would know where to cut. It was very cool to see a cut-down tree with a surveyor's witness sign on it saying "Do not disturb this sign".

There was also recent clearing west of Route 3 around Prospect Hill. And spotty clearing near Salmon and Durban. It seems the very steepest spots were not cleared, but the rest was. I can understand that perfectly.

The last time I read an IBC report was many years ago, and at that time they gave the credentials of the commissioners. The Canadian Commissioner had an engineering degree and had written articles on precise survey techniques, while the US Commissioner was a young lawyer who had worked on the president's re-election campaign. Sounds like even back then we weren't too serious.