winter hydration

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
can anyone speak to how well insulated hydration packs work in winter? the only one i have come upon so far is the stowaway by camelbak. my assumption is that it would work to a certain "degree", but would have its limits. i don't imagine that tube would keep flowing in sub zero temps. any experiences in relation to these you would like to share would be appreciated.

thanks.

bryan

You can do a search here on Views, this topic comes up almost every season...

That being said...

In my experience the tubes will freeze up, even with the winter kit set up. What I found is the best prevention from the tube freezing; which is the biggest problem in the winter with a bladder system, is that I now route the hose through a pit zip to keep it close to my body. That way my body heat will keep the tube warm enough to prevent freezing. But, since I had a problem on Greylock last winter, and did not bring along a bottle, I have made sure that I also use the good old standby of having a bottle of warm Gatorade in a cozy in my pack. That way I can at least have something to drink ASAP if the tube freezes up.

I am sure other will have some more suggestions, do a search as well for more.

It's a bitch to keep them from freezing. Mine fits inside my pack, close to my back. The tube runs INSIDE the shoulder harness. I have the neoprene sleeve that Camelback uses which helps. Put warm water to start, blow the water into the bladder to help keep the tube dry, and drink often.

Carry a backup bottle incase all that fails.......

The short answer is - not very well, especially if you're a regular winter hiker. When they freeze up (and no matter what arrangement you rig up they will at some point) you'll be at risk as well as your companions because they may need to share their water to get you off the mountain.

The best solution is to start with a boiling drink, like tea or anything you like, just so long as it's as hot as you can make it. Put it in a liter Nalgene in an OR water bottle jacket and hang on the outside of your pack. If you can afford it, get two or even 3 of the OR jackets - EMS makes a pretty good knockoff but the Northface knockoff is usually too small. If money is an issue, then put the other Nalgenes in wall socks, and try to wrap them in something warm (like fleece, a hat, etc) and put them in your pack.

Other tip - for the Nalgene hanging from your pack - put it in upside down, so that if it freezes, the threads will be clear.

I hike almost every winter hike in a jacket with twin full length inside pockets (each is 8" wide and about 18" deep). I begin every hike with a 2L "summerized" bladder with warm (not hot ... yuck) water and keep the tube inside my jacket. This gets me through the approach and up to the first summit of the day. By the end, the water has gotten cool to cold, and the tube has never frozen, the mouth piece once because I hadn't stuffed it back inside far enough. But that system for me is running 99% (and the frozen mouthpiece thawed out in minutes). The old camelback with the tube and mouthpiece insulators worked twice and failed three times! Now, you must carry an bottle if you attempt this route, for I was able to transfer the frozen tubed bladders waters into bottles to drink. I also hike with 1 to 2 insulator system liters as well that I move into once the bladder is dry. So most hikes I have one bladder and 2 to 3 EMS bottle wraps that I usually bring (one to keep food someone tooth friendly). This system is 100% going the way Kevin Rooney has described.

thanks for the info. after many years of hiking i only this summer season converted to using a hydration system instead of carrying bottles. it made a drastic difference in keeping hydrated. sounds like carrying bottles is still the safest route for the winter though. i have had good luck in the past constructing insulators from old sleeping pads. the or and ems cozys are swell as well.
thanks.

bryan