Summit of Little Attitash

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhanz

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the location of the true summit of Little Attitash? There are three small bumps that poke above 2500. The middle bump is identified on USGS quads as the summit.

Last week I was coaxed into a short trip by a co-worker. He switched the destination on me at the last minute, leaving me a bit unprepared and without good maps of the area. We topped out at a small ledge looking north with a couple of cairns and an ice ax nailed to a tree. (Bonus points if you know what the cryptic message means). Although the mountain seemed to slope downward in every direction, I'm almost certain that we actually missed the true summit by quite a lot and instead found a marked view on a false summit. I couldn't spend a lot of time looking, so we descended by a very well-defined herd path to the tower at the lift for the Attitash ski area. After the hike, I looked over some reference photos and maps and can't decide if we really missed it.

In 1990 there was a cairn on the E bump but our gut feeling was that the W bump was higher. No ice axe but that could have been added since. Both bumps were ledgy with limited views. We climbed from Lucy Brook so have no feeling how far this is from ski area.

Thanks Roy. I'm sure we wound up on the east bump instead of the west. It was a pleasant enough hike, though so I won't mind going back.