Hartford CT to Conway routes & construction ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
We normally go straight up 91 to Fairlee Vt, and then head east but Sept 8th we got stuck in all that construction around Springfield. Has anyone been through there recently ? I'd really like to avoid the Boston circumnavigation and 16 this Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Chip, I live in Eastern CT and own a Condo near Storyland. I usually go I-84 to I-90 to I-495 to I-93 to Lincoln then across the Kanc to Bear Notch if it is open. I actually use your route if I think we are going to get whacked on 93. It adds an hour to the trip for us but that is sometimes still a better option and I love I-91 in Vermont. I use the VT route almost exclusively to get home, not go up though. What a great road to travel.

Keith

Last edited:
Sept 8 Fryday traffic

I drive through Stinkfield every day, and the traffic is MUCH worse on Fryday nights vs Sat. mornings. And the Big E really exacerbated the situation recently, it should be better now.
If I'm going to Pinkham Notch, it is faster to go 91> exit 17> 302> 116> 2> 16 South. Going to Conway you may want to go 91> exit 17> 302> 115> 302> West Side Dr.
I avoid the Southerly approach to Conway if at all possible, especially during foliage season.
And I agree; Rt. 91 is much more scenic...

Last edited:
Chip--

Just a heads up---

By all means avoid the route 16 approach to Conway on Saturday 10/7. It is the Fryeburg Fair Saturday and I've seen 16 bumper to bumper from Tamworth all the way to 302.

That said, any which way you approach Conway this weekend is going to be a Mob Scene, just because of Fair traffic.

Good luck!

Breeze

All's I gots to say is: Sawyer Highway + BMW = Fun. Throw in the Kanc, and you got a sweet ride. Did I mention there is a rocket in Warren!!!! Not to be missed.

-percious

Breeze said:
Chip--

Just a heads up---

By all means avoid the route 16 approach to Conway on Saturday 10/7.
By all means avoid ... Conway ...

Chip-
I also go 84 East-Mass Pike-495-and 93 to the north country : ) after that there's so many variations to getting to North Conway.
I think the worse part of driving North is driving through CT especially through Waterbury, ugh!
kmac

Add to the woes of Fair Traffic anywhere near Conway, the utterly frustrating construction area in North Cornflake most of the way to Intervale.

If one decides to make the run this weekend......
-- remember that the southerly interchange from the Kank to the Conway area dumps onto 16 for a short run to Conway Village ( access there to the Westside Rd). That interchange is going to be madness, but if you need to/can use the Westside Rd, just gird yourself for the gridlock.

If one chooses the Kank and the Bear Notch Rd to Bartlett then south on 302, you'll have to gird yourself for construction gridlock basically from Intervale south. If you want a work-around, you can take a left on Hurricane Mtn Rd, then a right to Cranmore, and work your way down to the North South Rd with access into North Conway village.

If one is REALLY desperate to make a destination in N Conway, Conway Center or Conway Village, Kank to Bear Notch Rd to Bartlett, 302 to Intervale, left on Hurricane Mt. Rd ALL THE WAY UP, OVER AND DOWN to Green Hill Rd, turn right and rejoin 113 W at Jesse's store in East Conway. Take 113 in to Redstone, where it will be ugly again, but you'll be contrary to the traffic flow. That is a HUGE detour out of your way, but it can be THAT BAD.

It won't be pretty, traffic -wise, I promise

The Fryeburg Fair will be trying to pack in ~ 50,000 people over roads that see this peak traffic once a year. The experienced know all the back routes, too.

Good luck!
Breeze

Breeze said:
If one is REALLY desperate to make a destination in N Conway, Conway Center or Conway Village, Kank to Bear Notch Rd to Bartlett, 302 to Intervale, left on Hurricane Mt. Rd ALL THE WAY UP, OVER AND DOWN to Green Hill Rd, turn right and rejoin 113 W at Jesse's store in East Conway. Take 113 in to Redstone, where it will be ugly again, but you'll be contrary to the traffic flow. That is a HUGE detour out of your way, but it can be THAT BAD.

Breeze

Jesse's store? You must be a local!

Kevin

Just a couple of comments on the I91 route - while I like the ride from Fairlee over to Orfordville to Warren and on into Lincoln, when I lived in VT I only took that route when I was hiking Moosilauke via Gorge Brook.

I believe it's slightly faster (if a bit longer) to continue to Wells River, and then to Woodsville, Benton to Lincoln on 112. The only slow section is the first bit after turning off 10/302 onto 112. Sections have been rebuilt over the years, gradually working its way over to 10/302.

Chip said:
Thanks. Brother in Law has a cottage on Conway Lake, so weese gots ta get ova dah !

Patience, Chip. Patience. Whatever Stinkfield has in store for you will be snapped green beans compared to a 30 +mile radius of Conway.

Not an easy place to access...... depending on your Bro's location on the lake.

Awe, heck, you know where you are goin, you have the Delormes. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'm just glad my tochis is werking the weekend and not trying to chase the three-day traffic encounter.

Breeze

Route from Hartford

Chip - been there, done that. Everyone has there own opinion, ......but, after trying just about every possible route over the last 40 years, we now have it down pat. 91N all the way to 93S to 302. That's right! Maybe a little longer mileage but considerably shorter in time and the aggrevation factor is low. (except for the never-ending bridge project in Greenfield, MA. All rural hi-way until 302. I would not even consider going north via the Mass pike etc. Way to much traffic and stress. Just my opinion! :)

For some reason known only to God and a few shamans the northern bridge construction in Greenfield doesn’t back up as much as the southern side. In either case, I just get off at exit 24 going north and bypass the bridge all together or exit 27 or 28 (the left exit) going south. This alternative route is a straight shot both ways.

Chips' knock knock this weekend will not be in CT, MA or VT

his knock knock will be navigating bumper to bumper traffic on a few miles of 16/302 to his nirvana.

Sweet dreams Chip, the geese are on the move.

Breeze

Hey Chip, i used to go into conway et all via 91 all the time. I leave Enfield routinely for the 91 trip to WRJ and it's no sweat, still being a leaf peeping holiday weekend i would be on the road by 8am through the Springfield area. you won't hit any construction now until the NOHO area where bridges are still two lanes but in a crooked sort of way, there's 2 or 3 of these here then the one laner in greenfield which should have only minor slow down..except for NY and NJ plates(don't get political on me now!!) who feel the need to fly through construction zones at 75mph plus. I always got off I believe it was the bradford/piermont exit for 25C, which is an awesome drive and drops you into Warren, then pop up over Moosilauke(118..sawyer hwy) into Woodstock and wahlah...you're on the Kanc. YOU WILL GET STUCK BEHIND LEAF PEEPERS ON THE KANC....it's inevitable....hopefully they will turn into the sight seeing areas. Definitely take West Side Dr, you can even cut over to it at the covered bridge crossing (can't think of the name) and follow a generally east direction and it lands you on west side drive..turn left...then follow to the end, turn right on river street and you are smack dab in the middle on N Conway

If you take 25A from Orford/Fairlee...this road has a few more sanctioned passing zones and is wider and in better shape than usually than 25c Just slow down in all the towns.

MOST IMPORTANTLY coming back thru the one lane bridge on I91 in Greenfield is the biggest obstacle. Personally, i don't leave the WRJ area until 6-6:30pm in order to avoid the potential back ups here. Fortunately, my kids are out of school tuesday as well, so we're not returning until then.

Hope you see this post before u leave..have a good one