"Baby, It's Cold Outside" -- "How Looow Can You Go?"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
Our northern neighbors have sent us some "cold comfort" this evening. I thought it might be an occasion to test your knowledge of the possibilities. Have some fun and write down your answers before peeking at what others might respond with. The answers are in another thread, for the benefit of those who want to test themselves.

All the questions refer to ambient air temperature, not windchill factor. All quibbles over the answers will be decided by reference to NCDC -- Climatic Extremes and Weather Events .

1. Among the following states, which has recorded the lowest official minimum temp at -52 F?

a. CT
b. MA
c. ME
d. NH
e. NY
f. PA
g. VT

2. Among those states, which has recorded a minimum of at least -45 F?

3. Eight states in the U.S. have recorded minimums of -60 F or lower. Name the seven that are not Alaska.

4. Which of those seven has made it down to -70 F?

5. What is the record minimum temperature for North America?
a. -73 F
b. -75 F
c. -80 F
d. -81 F

6. What is the record minimum temperature for the U.S.?
a. -73 F
b. -75 F
c. -80 F
d. -81 F

Last edited:
You know the weather is cold when they are predicting single digit temperatures for southern jersey. Possibility of zero down here this weekend. Thats unheardof!

You know its frigid when the trees are frozen solid and exploding as loud as gunshots. It has to be pretty cold for that, at least -40F, but up in Alaska I hear it happens. Up on Mt Washington there was -90F wind chills just last night and again tonite.