Mt Cabot via Bunnell Notch and Kilkenny Ridge Trails 10/7/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Originally planned to hike the Wildcats but Rols (Paul) wanted to do Cabot for advanced planning for a winter hike and I had never ben there before, so why not.

Was cool early on, with frost everywhere but warmed up quickly as we moved on the hike. The Bunnell Notch Trail was in great condition, very easy grades, pretty dry and not very rocky. With that and the fact that at first it follows a brook along side and then above with lots of nice small waterfalls, we very much enjoyed this part of the hike. Of course there was lots of color, and the weather really warmed up to make this really a perfect hiking day.

We moved up to the Kilkenny Ridge Trail. There were more rocks and it was a bit steeper- (heck, you have to go up sometime) but again the trail was mostly dry and with the switchbacks not difficult to ascend. We scoped out the Cabot Cabin for a spot to have a hot lunch during the winter- it really is a nice little cabin.

Got some views above the cabin in the open area and then hit the summit, #36 for me. We were alone for the most part and enjoyed the solitude and cool temps. On the way down we stopped off on the KRT outlook and had some more great views.

It looked like all the signs to the Cabot trail had been changed to omit reference to the trail and the trail junction had branches placed in front of it (while we were descending) to discourage use.

We thought of a full loop around unknown pond, but it was a little late and it was just such a beautiful day and a nice set of trails we decided to take an easy stroll out of the same way. We were both very impressed with the trails and enjoyed the hike immensely.

Going home, we were shocked at the number of cars at some of the major trailheads- Appalachia and Franconia Notch trailheads. Wow. For me, I was pleased with our selection and the ability to have a quiet walk in the woods, still seeing occasional people to make it somewhat social. What I couldn’t figure out was why my legs felt so dead on the way down for a hike that was not too difficult. But hey, another great day.

Pix of this hike located in the link below.

It was one of those perfect Fall days on the trail. The Bunnel Tr often gets negative reviews but it was, on Saturday, a wonderful woodland pathway.

Nice trip report, Eric. It, along with your pictures, captured the day. It was a wonderful hike! I am really looking forward to redoing it in Winter.