Anyone familiar with Saddle Ball Mt. in MA?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcloud

Reaction score
I have hiked this area before. I have taken the AT from the rte.8 crossing up to the top of Saddle Ball Mt. My question pertains to parking. The time I did this, I parked my car at a gas station which is a few tenths of a mile south of the AT crossing rte.8. I then walked the road to the trail beginning on the left up onto a farm. After a little while of walking through the farm you come out to what is called Outlook Avenue. You cross this road and then begin to head into the woods.
I am asking if anyone knows if you can park on Outlook Avenue anywhere near the AT crossing instead of back on rte.8. I would like to avoid the section that cuts through this farm.
Last year I when I did this hike, I injured my knee and had wished that I could have gotten to my car on Outlook Ave. instead of having to go all the way back to rte.8. I was hurting so much that the only way to alleviate the pain was to walk backwards down the slopes. I know this makes me sound like a wuss, but so be it.
Thanks in advance for any help, Eric

I can't tell you whether it's a good idea to park on Outlook Ave. (as I recall, it was a fairly narrow road) but I can tell you there were cars parked on the side of the road at that crossing when I hiked that section of the AT. I would assume if you get there and there aren't any "no parking" signs then you're fine.

When I hiked this section, I parked on Route 8 right where the AT heads back into the woods. There is a small pullout area (room for maybe two cars) just a house or two away from the crossing.

- Ivy

I know this doesn't answer your particular question regarding parking on Outlook Avenue, but for hiking Saddle Ball, another option is to leave your car at the start of the Jones Nose Trail and simply hike up Saddle Ball from there.

Thank you for the responses. I'll just have to check it out more so when I go.
take care, Eric