Potable water at Zealand Falls Hut?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
Sorry if this sounds like a novice question, but I don't have a lot of experience dealing with the AMC Huts. Does Zealand Falls Hut have potable water available for thru hikers? (not spending the night) I'm trying to decide whether or not to turn around at the Zealand summit, or possibly continue on to Guyot or even West Bond. It would be helpful to know where I can expect to find water, and whether or not it would need to be treated, etc. I'd like to minimize the amount of water I need to lug along the way if possible.

Thanks,
- Bill

And it is available year round, although in the Winter you should offer to pump a couple of buckets to replace what you took - good way to warm up as well.

bobandgeri said:
And it is available year round, although in the Winter you should offer to pump a couple of buckets to replace what you took - good way to warm up as well.
FWIW, every hut has potable water...

Lonesome has potable year-round from a well mere footsteps from the hut.
Zealand has potable year-round from a well that's hundred yards or so up the trail.
Carter has water in the summer from a well and the taps are potable; however, in the winter water must be carried in plastic jugs from a hole in the ice of the upper lake, and then must be treated or boiled prior to drinking.
The other huts have potable well water but only while they are open in-season.

Somewhere out on the web is a description of each hut's water source, including well depth, but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:
The taste

When I was there two weeks ago, the water at Zealand hut had a strong taste of iodine. I am sure no goobers could live in it, but from a taste POV it was pretty unappealing.

If you crave decent tasting water, you might want to bring a filter and pump your own.

cb

ChrisB said:
When I was there two weeks ago, the water at Zealand hut had a strong taste of iodine. I am sure no goobers could live in it, but from a taste POV it was pretty unappealing.

If you crave decent tasting water, you might want to bring a filter and pump your own.

cb

As far as I know, all huts are now on deep wells during the warm months. There is usually an electric pump that fills a tank in the attic (Carter is gravity flow). Part of this water system includes a clorinator to be in compliant with the water purification regulations.

During the cold months, the water system is drained, and water typically comes from the nearby pond. So, best to purify.