snowshoe binding recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Yes, there are previous threads, but I'm looking for fresh commentary on the latest models.

I've been on 30" Tubbs for about 8 years and I'm finally going to retire them. The've suited me very well.

My interest is really in the bindings. Mine have straps, which I think could be improved upon. I've always wanted to customize them with snowboard bindings, but now I see shoes with this type of binding.

My shoes occasionally fall off while off-trail. I want bindings that will hold on better. I theorize that the snowboard-type would hold, and be easier to put on and take off.

Any experience with these? What are your favorite bindings?

I have found that the Tubbs T-91 binding system offers the best use and safety. Good solid straps with one buckle. All the new systems that rely on rubber straps (MSR), ratchet and 'hugging' systems (Tubbs, others) I have found unreliable. Especially if you do bushwhacking.

Currently Campmor has these snowshoes on a great sale $109 - $120 for $229 retail:

Tubbs Altitude 25 T-91 Binding

These are good solid snowshoes for normal hiking and climbing. Should you want a more aggressive grip, I order the Viper teeth from Tubbs customer service and install them on these snowshoes.

I have Crescent Moon Snowshoes, the Gold 9. This is a family company in Co., that manufactures by hand in Co.

I've spent days on them and never had the binding loosen, let alone fall off. I have NOTHING vested here, other than great experience. I'm surprised these shoes aren't more popular, so are the guys at Moor & Mountain in Andover that I spoke with on Saturday. They know the Crescent Moon guys personally and sell and rent the shoes.

I've got Tubbs with the bear hug binding ....... and I hate the binding system.

Two reasons:

The clips are easy enough to use, however, snow or ice build up will cause them to not snap down securely which allows the snowshoe to unbuckle in the most inconvenient places. Even just walking in deep snow will push up on the buckle and cause it to release.

The bear hug binding itself is large and akward to fit onto a pack. If you leave the binding snapped closed, the snowshoe cannot be easily secured to your backpack. If you do find a spot to attach your shoes with the binding closed, they are so bulky that they catch on all those snow-laden branches..... every single one :)

If you open the binding and then force it flat, you can quite nicely secure the snowshoes to your pack, but this creates another problem. The cold temperature stiffens the plastic and then when you want to put the shoes on, you have to wrestle with them to wrap around your boot. And, if that's not trouble enough, you have to pick out all the snow and ice that has accumulated in the heel strap and top buckle in order to secure them.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I've got the women's 25" altitude series and they don't fit my plastics. I can get them to snap on the very last setting, using every ounce to strength to force the clip closed, which subsequently pops open with every step. I don't have big feet so I find it surprising that there's not enough slack in the binding system to fit over my plastics.

(And, yes, I brought my leather winter boots in when I bought the snowshoes to make sure they fit. I didn't own my plastics at the time or I would have brought those as well.)

Just my .02 ........ maybe others have had better experiences with this type of binding.

Reactions: arm
bindings...

The tsl bindings are very very sturdy... easy to put on and dont freaze in very cold weather...

I have found that the Tubbs T-91 binding system offers the best use and safety. Good solid straps with one buckle. All the new systems that rely on rubber straps (MSR), ratchet and 'hugging' systems (Tubbs, others) I have found unreliable. Especially if you do bushwhacking.

I've had very good results with the Tubb's T-91 binding as well....I put them through a lot of abuse and they haven't failed yet.....

I have had some 30" Tubbs Sierras with the TD91 (lowish-tech, straps/buckles) bindings for about 10 years. I like the bindings a lot and can abuse them like crazy and they don't come off... unless the strap loosens, which happens once or twice a day. The downside is that if I switch boots (like from XC boots to plastics or Sorels) the straps are hard to adjust in the field when it's cold, especially if they are full of snow/ice and/or my fingers are cold or it's windy and I don't want to spend 5 minutes stopped, etc. I was thinking about upgrading this winter because the claws are finally shot, but maybe I will just order the Viper crampons instead and live with the straps.

I hike some with people who absolutely swear by their Atlas ratchet bindings and have done things like the NEHH in winter. Any points of view there?

Guinness, how do you order the Vipers and even more importantly, attach them? The old ones seen to be riveted onto the decking.
Weatherman

Since Tubbs sold out to K2, their service and customer contact numbers are becoming elusive. Very dissapointing. I like the snowshoes and still remain with them, but they are quickly abandoning us. I recently had a chance to talk to them about the changes that have taken place since leaving Vermont. Mostly they were very helpful and said their service remains the same. Time will tell.

If you look at their new web site, it is not designed for easy navigation. Try to find a phone number, it is almost impossible. They want you to submit everything through the web contact us page which is found at:

http://www.tubbssnowshoes.com/support/

and located under the FAQ Topic number 15

What I do have on my file is:

1-800-882-2748

2101 Frank Albert Road
Fife, WA 98424

In Canada:
1 Westside Drive, Unit #7
Toronto, ON M9C 1B2
Phone: 877-393-7049

As for the changing of the front points, all my shoes have nut/bolt combinations. Only the rear teeth are rivited and if you feel comfortable, they can be drilled out. However, I have never had to replace my rear set.

It's sad that Tubbs sold out to K2.
Sadder they moved to Vermont in the first place.

Still have a pair that was made in Norway, Maine. I think that places them at around 65 years old. Went up Cannon with them back in 1999. The leather/rawhide bindings don't quite live up to today's standards but I have to stay true to my roots.

Pamola said:
It's sad that Tubbs sold out to K2.
Sadder they moved to Vermont in the first place.

Still have a pair that was made in Norway, Maine. I think that places them at around 65 years old. Went up Cannon with them back in 1999. The leather/rawhide bindings don't quite live up to today's standards but I have to stay true to my roots.

I always thought that Tubbs started in Wallingford VT before going to Maine. Am I wrong?

Unless I am mistaken, the path Tubbs took started in Norway Maine (1906), the Brandon Vt (1940s), then onto Forestdale, VT (?) and finally Stowe VT (1988?), in 2002 moved major manufacturing to Grand Junction, CO (produced Atlas and Tubbs brands). Finally sold to K2 in 2003 and subsequently moved to China.

Last edited:
Just about everything Skimom said applies to me, too. After struggling with the original ratchet system on my plastics, I contacted Tubbs and they send me longer straps--just an original strap with an extra piece riveted to it. Haven't really had any trouble with them opening unintentionally, though.

Then my wife got a pair of MSR's, former rentals, and I've used those ever since. :eek: Less flotation, but a LOT lighter, easier to pack, great snowshoe crampons and STRAPS! On those rare occasions when we go out into the snowy woods (not mountains) together, she takes her choice and I use the others, or my old trusty wood and rawhide snowshoes that were made before I was born. And that was a good long time ago! :D