Is the cold keeping you home?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm heading out for a short one this afternoon. May head out tomorrow too but that depends more on the cold in my head than the cold outside. Besides, up here in western Maine they're saying we might make the teens tomorrow. A heat wave!

The cold is keeping me in today... we woke up to find our pipes had frozen overnight. I figure if it's cold enough to freeze our pipes then it's too cold for me to hike today.

It's probably just as well since I've been sick this week anyway.

- Ivy

Go Patriots!!!

The cold won't be keeping the Pats in tonight.

We're planning to ice climb Sunday - Hands will be the biggest problem gripping the ropes and tools. That and the fact that you are not always moving like a ski or snowshoe.

KZ

From the Mount Washington Weather Center under Past Comments:
The snow tractor was finally able to make it up the auto road today to pick up the TV-crew from ABC-7 NYC, after dangerous conditions had not allowed the tractor to yesterday. Even though conditions have improved somewhat from yesterday, it is still dangerously cold and hiking the higher summits is not recommended. Wind chills are still below -50F and frostbite is a major concern.
The weather crew was able to see Mt. Marcy 130 miles to the west in the clear, cold air.

I don't think I would stay away from some of the easier, lower summits due to the weather, but I have nothing planned. I will probably go out and do my usual 5-mile circuit in the Fells Reservation. My family thinks I am nuts. So what else is new?

Staying in, working on my sled, and making a gallon of clam chowder to bring to the Gathering.

Sometimes "cozy" just wins.
:)

Hmmm...

I might go up tonight and do something tomorrow, not sure. I was hiking up close to Berlin, NH last year in zero temps and I really didn't have much of a problem. My nose didn't run since all of that nose stuff was frozen, hehe...

Got out a little today

Went out this morning for a 4 mile running race. Temp was about
-7F and the windchill supposedly -21F.

I felt pretty good while moving. But as soon as I stopped those warm sweaty clothes turned to damp frigid clothes. I was amazed how long it took me to get warm again, even in my car with the heater on.

I'm going to stay in the rest of the weekend and get my stuff ready for the Gathering next weekend!

My plans to get to the mountains were scuttled by reasons not related to the weather. More like SherpaKroto's. But staying home doesn't mean staying inside. ;)

Yesterday, I hiked the Fire Island National Seashore from Smith's Point to Bellport Beach and back. Awesome. This is the best time of year for shells; not much competition from other collectors. Got some great ones. Temperature plunged from teens to single digits during hike. Winds 10-20 mph. A ranger driving by stopped and asked me "Are you all right?" "Yeah, sure, are you?" :rolleyes:

Today, just got back from the big loop around Connetquot Preserve. Lots of deer and, surprisingly, lots of other hikers. Highest temperature of day was 10 degrees in my driveway when I returned. Wind same as yesterday.

Tomorrow? Shelter Island sounds good. :D

Steve

Goin' out tomorrow!

i'm going out tomorrow, but in southern NH, not on a high summit. It is supposed to be in the teens, so it will feel tropical!:)

I agree with PINPIN!! Four of us had a great day hiking the Tripyramids. No wind, sunny summits (they even felt warm in comparison) and fantastic views. This was in spite of waking up to no water due to frozen pipes.

I got out for a short hike today. Would have gone longer but was expecting company today. I went out for a hike at around 10AM and the temp was -4 with a windchill of -22. This was in High Point SP in NJ. Was glad I got out because of the crystal clear sky and bright sun made all the ice covered trees look awsome. This was from last Sundays ice storm at elavations above 1200ft. I guess you can say nothing will keep me from hiking just have to dress properly. I am going down to the Delaware Water Gap for a 10 mile hike tomorrow. Should be a little warmer although It is suppose to be below 0 again tonight. The way I look at it is when the temps hit 20 degrees it will feel like a heat wave.

Starting to get cold.

No climbing, bacause of work. However, I commuted to work by bicycle a day or so ago, in -20F... which leads me to an interesting oddity.

I've suffered minor frostbite (blisters) 5-6 times, but never hiking, skiing, etc. It has always been on my cmomute to work. I wonder how many people get frostbite commuting to an office job.

Well...i went running yesterday for a workout seeing ashow i cant really run in the hallways at school like the sprinters can...and so i went out and did some hills and came back, only about 7 miles cause my hands never really warmed up. Other than that, i havent done anything. Im going to Utah this week to warm up and get some skiing in =). Its funny, because I feel colder when im outside now compared to how i feel in even colder temps up on some high summit. I think its the psychological effect that when im out backpacking, im not going to go inside and get warm anyware, but walking around im looking for my house or my car or something.

Non Legit - Cold is worse in the burbs!

Couldn't agree more. I have always felt colder in the burbs, and I think you are right about how we know we have a warm house or car to get into. Outside in the woods, we are much more self sufficient, cause we know that we have to be!:D

yeah, i agree, all you need is the right clothing. but between my wife balking at going, my dog giving me the 'what do you expect me to do' look every time we go outside, the nfl playoffs and the fact that i still haven't seen return of the king yet, i'm bagging my trip today. we'll hit it over next week's long weekend.

have fun everyone...