Baxter Park reservations ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
We were last in Baxter Park in the mid-80's. In looking over the online reservations system, it seems a little complicated.

There is a group of us hoping to go for a week in July and we'd like to stay together. The last time we were there, we spent half of our time at reserved leantos at Katahdin Stream, and the other half of the week at the Roaring Brook leantos.
That kind of arrangement would be OK this time, but we also want to think about the cabins at Daicey Pond.

For those of you much more experienced with the Baxter reservations system, any tips for making group reservations at the leantos or cabins, and is it likely the reservation folks will be flexible about keeping us together?

Thanks for your assistance.

Peakbagr

Out of curiosity rather than necessity, I attended "The Line" in Millinockett in January 2004 to get reservations for September of that year. It was the last year of that legendary system where people camped out in the parking lot as much as a week in advance in January for first crack at the choicest spots. The irony was that the most "heroic" campers there were aiming to get the cushiest drive-in spots, including Daicey Pond cabins. Some families have traditions going back years and years of camping there. The absence of "The Line" now equalizes somewhat the access to Daicey, but that will likely still be your most difficult reservation to get. If you are flexible about your July dates for KS and RB, I doubt that you'll have a problem. My experience with reservations at BSP over the last 20 years is that the staff works very hard to be patient and accommodating, and they'll do their best to keep a group together.

How big is your group?

From the Baxter State Park Reservations page:
"Groups of thirteen (13) or more in a family or non-family situation shall be assigned to one of the group areas"

Daicey pond has one cabin that is larger that the rest - when you mail in your reservation form you can indicate what cabin you are looking for. If you wanted say 3 cabins you could send in 3 request each listing a differant one so the odds are you will get close together.

When we were there in 2005 for the July 4th weekend Daicy Pond was maybe 60% filled.

To be sure I would give them a call and ask about it.
Telephone: (207) 723-5140

Last edited: