Hookey in the Hudson Highlands

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lattinhill

Reaction score
Friday's little trek was proof that you don't always need 20+ miles or a 4K to have a great hike. It started unexpectedly with an e-mail from Truffles asking if she could " tempt me into taking Friday off and go hiking ". Well, that question needs no answer so I made the" necessary arangments " at work, drove home, packed and headed north to her place. We decided to go to Breakneck Ridge in the Hudson Highlands instead of Vermont. I have a strong aversion to driving south to go hiking, it just does'nt seem right to me, but that would soon change.
Friday morning came quickly and we headed south on the Taconic Parkway to the riverside village of Cold Spring, NY. After grabbing a cup [ or three! ] of coffee we drove a couple of miles up Rt 9d, through a tunnel and pulled onto the small trailhead parking lot. We geared up and started up the well blazed trail. The trail began climbing immediatly , with little chance for a warm-up and we were soon up and over the highway tunnel. I'd been using my poles but soon realised that I needed my hands more as this was rapidly turning into a scramble. We continued climbing, using handholds or cracks in the rocks to step on, but still making good progress with the views starting to appear behind us. Instead of getting cooler as we went up, the temps were rising along with the sun, and we were soon shedding layers. With the cool weather forecast, I had 2 pairs of gloves, a winter hat and a down jacket in my pack and certainly did'nt need any of them.
We were having a great time and all too soon we arrived at the first of several open viewpoints. And what a view ! We were on a prominent knob that gave the impression of hanging out over the Hudson River and on this crystal clear day the vista before us was equal to the best I've seen anywere. I did'nt want to move from this spot as I looked down river to West Point, directly across to Storm King Mt. that seemed close enough to touch, and up river to the Beacon-Newburg Bridge with the 'Gunks and Catskills far past it. Amongst all this the busy world continued it's daily routine as tugs & barges and freighters plyed the river. Metro North and Amtrak trains ran up and down the river far below and freight trains rumbled below Storm King on the western shore. As a small plane flew downriver below us, Truffles reminded me that we were still only at the lowest outlook and needed to continue on.
So on we went, with the trail easing somewhat, then climbing to the next knob where we lost sight of most of the river. Looking for where we would go next, I spotted a rocky outcropping perched high up over a sheer drop-off. I started to say " I suppose the trail goes up and across th-" when Truffles cut me short by saying " of course it does !" Off we went, dropping into a small coll then climbing steeply soon to be at the spot we were gazing up at only a short time ago. This spot would be a " don't look to you're right place " if you were bothered by heights! Another scramble and we were at the last and highest viewpoint with the Hudson valley once again in it's full splender. We sat for a bite to eat and watched a pair of hikers gain the second peak far below. We continued on, loosing the trail briefly, only to find it again a little higher up on the ridge. This was easy walking now through open woods and we made our way north pausing only to add a rock or two to the cairns. We planned on taking a red blazed trail back down off the ridge and soon came upon it, complete with fresh red paint. After a few minutes on this trail we walked across a sun-lit rock that begged us to stop at. It was snack time again and with the sun warming us we laid back against our packs and nearly dozed off. But voices roused us and soon we were on our way again. The way from here was all downhill and a combination of easy trail through beautiful open woods, still with a suprising amount of color, and old woods roads.
Many hikes end with the sounds of traffic and civilization, and this was no different. We had a quarter mile road walk back to the car on a near shoulder-less busy road but even that did'nt lessen my feeling of well-being from a fabulous hike.
Pat has never dissapointed me on a hike, but this time she outdid herself. My dilemma is how to pay her back.....it won't be easy!

Dave

I remember this route very fondly from the past summer. The rise up that rocky ridge is truly remarkable, just a solid 3-iron from the river's edge. It commands an excellent view, fun terrain (if, as you say, you like rocks and heights!) and it's wicked neat to look down into the remains of Bannerman's Castle.

Now you need to go back and do Storm King on the other side of the river!
:)

:cool: Nice TR. The Hudson Highlands do offer great hikes and views. Breakneck, named for a legendary runaway bull from the colonial era, is considered by many to be among the best hikes in the northeast. The Highlands are a good place view the fall foliage in late October, after it has faded in most of the northeast. Some other nice mountain hikes include Beacon, Taurus (Bull Hill, named for that same bull), Storm King, Bear, Anthony's Nose, and Dunderberg. The area can be crowded on weekends, and parking lots may fill up. Week days are good choices.

Anybody who likes the Hudson Highlands will also like the Shawangunk Ridge to the northwest. There the fall foliage peaks 7-10 days earlier than the Highlands, and peaks from south to north (Sam's Point through the Mohonk Preserve) because of elevation. There are admission prices to many of the Preserves and hiking locales. There are all kinds of rock scrambles, crevices, cliff walks, and many easy carriageways which are fun in all seasons. Like the Highlands the Shawangunks can be quite icy in winter, and crampons are useful in many locations.

And looking even further south, if that is not a problem for you, the Sterling Ridge trail through Sterling forest is very nice, cumulating in the Sterling firetower, the only manned and active firetower left in NY State.

Breakneck Ridge and Storm King Mtn offer impressive views of the Hudson. Another great spot is Anthony's Nose which is on the east side of the Hudon, literally just east of the Bear Mountain Bridge.

Jay

Nice trip report. Glad you enjoyed the hike! Breakneck is one of my favorite hikes in the area (as well as a favorite of my informal hiking group -- we hike it after work maybe once a month).

Great TR... I take it Maya did not tag along?

Breakneck is always a fun hike, I try to hit it early in the day though, it can get BUSY!!! Just like the AT, there is a trainstop on Metro North stop, twice a day from NYC and back to NYC... Or you can catch the train to Cold Spring as well...

No, Maya sat this one out. She's been in the " doghouse " lately more due to trail manners than ability. She's done steep rock before [ North Slide ] but sometimes it's nice not to have to worry about her.
This was a fun hike for sure ! I could have just sat there for hours and watched the world go by....and sometime I most likely will.
Dave