Snowboarding Tuckerman

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
Ok, I realize it's early to talk about scampering up the headwall and skiing down it, but I was wondering if anyone here has snowboarded Tuck's and if so, was it harder or riskier than skiing? My main motivation for asking is I'm considering doing the entire Inferno next spring (i've done it as a team event twice, this would be my first time solo) and I've never skied, but I do snowboard. The ski leg of the Inferno is the only part that scares me a bit. The rest is just an endurance race. So I'm thinking of practicing riding this winter in the shoes I'd wear for the hike portion of the race so the transition would be fast, and I'd have less to carry (ie snowboard boots).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

I would think that this could be a great way to go considering the lack of a Boot transition and the fact the boots could be more climber freindly than DownHill ski boots. The Inferno is later in the Tuck's season which would allow for plenty of practice runs before hand. If you have not boarded steeper terrain again plenty of time to practice up there beforehand. With training I would not be too worried. Good Luck...should be FUN! :eek:

So let me get this straight, your going to snowboard in shoes and not snowboard boots? Sounds sketchy to me, without the added support and board response they provide, I'd bring the snowboard boots. But then again, if you practice with them, maybe you'd be alright. Who knows...

Aside from that, I don't think it's any harder or more dangerous than skiing it. I'm assuming your an expert snowboarder, I snowboarded "The Chute" and "Center Gully" last April and had no problems, it was a blast. I had prior experience on steep stuff out west so I wasn't really worried going in about steepness. The snow in April was perfect, I wanna go back for some stuff on Hillmans, the Headwall, and other ballsy variations off the Chute.

Pics here

Heres a link for some routes

TDawg said:
So let me get this straight, your going to snowboard in shoes and not snowboard boots? Sounds sketchy to me, without the added support and board response they provide, I'd bring the snowboard boots. But then again, if you practice with them, maybe you'd be alright. Who knows...

truepatriot09 what do you mean by shoes? I would agree with TDawg it could be sketchy if you were wearing trail runners(shoes);but a different thing if you were wearing a mid to heavy weight hiker(shoes). I guess your binding could be an issue too as far as fit with something other than a Snowboard boot. I've seen people ride with an Army style lace up leather boots which would be lighter than your typical snowboard boot; easier to hike in, and still fits in your typical binding. Any which way it seems some sort of HYBRID footwear which would allow you to hike and ride without carrying and also changing shoes seems like a savings in weight and a gain for speed/time.

I've snowboarded from the summit to the base, but I'm picky about conditions. I refuse to downhill on crusty stuff. I'll only do that sort of thing on nice powder, otherwise I go snowshoeing. I think skiis are better suited for crust, IMO.

As for hiking, I have no problem hiking in my old snowboard boots, laced loosely.

Good luck and have fun!

Happy Trails :)

I've ridden in just trail runners before, but not on anything as burly as Tucks. My rationale is that I'm going to be burnt from the whole race, am not going to want to either hike in or carry snowboard boots and want to keep it as light as possible. I may give the Sherburne trail a few runs this winter in what I'm planning on doing the hike portion of the race and see how it goes, see if it's feasible. I can always compromise some weight on the hike and wear a lightweight boot v. a trail runner and than I'd have a better base for the snowboard. Frankly though, I'm not too concerned with having a perfectly functional run down Tucks; I've seen racers in the Inferno who are so spent at the end, they end up sliding down the headwall on their arse. As long as I cross the finish line...doesn't matter how, just as long as I do!