Millbrook road approach to Cabot?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
A group of us are planning on doing Cabot in a few weeks and I was noticing that the approaches listed in the 4000 footer books. I noticed that the white Mtn Server lists the approach from Millbrook Road. Anyone know what the condition is of the road now? Is the gate open or not? We're planning on heading that way 11/18/06 and have to decide between Millbrook Road or the Fish Hatchery.

Thanks,
-Pete

when I was there in August, the gate was no longer there. It had been there in August 2004. In fact I could not find any signs of the gate ever having been there (not that I looked that hard). Which I might add, confused me into driving past the trailhead, the thinking was that I hadn't gotten to the gate yet, and I remembered it being there last time.

I don't know about the current road conditions.

Last edited:
The White Mountain Server is dead, it's Hike the Whites now. :)

I've heard that the gate near the end of the road is now gone, as reported above. But that road gets gated at the highway for winter, and it's any guess if it'll open on 11/18. But it's the best approach to Cabot, IMO.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
But that road gets gated at the highway for winter, and it's any guess if it'll open on 11/18.
I don't think there's a gate there either, and there are some year-round homes in the first half mile

Hence whether you want to drive in depends on how much snow has fallen and what kind of vehicle you have, this area sees considerable hunting so there will probably be 4wd tracks, and it may even be plowed for logging

I didn't notice any gates in August 2005. I seem to recall that the road was posted as "not maintained in winter", so snow could be a worry (as could mud).

In case you do use the York Pond Road approach, here's what the USFS is currently saying (see the sticky above):

"Road reconstruction has been completed. Note: The gate at the Fish Hatchery is now closed between 4:00 PM and 7:30 AM. At the end of October, the gate will again be open 24 hours (for snow plowing purposes)."

I love the circular hike you can make from York Pond Fish Hatchery. With stops at Bunnell Rock, The Horn & Unknown Pond make this a very scenic cirucular with no retrace of steps. Below is my report and time schedule from that hike. For photo album, see the link in the attached report.

Waumbek said:
In case you do use the York Pond Road approach, here's what the USFS is currently saying (see the sticky above):

"Road reconstruction has been completed. Note: The gate at the Fish Hatchery is now closed between 4:00 PM and 7:30 AM. At the end of October, the gate will again be open 24 hours (for snow plowing purposes)."

When I hiked from the York Pond Road on 10/17 the gate was wide open. I spoke with the folks that work at the Hatchery about the gate closing they said not to worry about it. They said that since they have paved the road the gate is too low to close. I am headed there again tomorrow to do Terrace and Cabot. I'll try to talk to the folks there again and let you know what the status of York Pond Road is.But anyhow tomorrow is beyond the end of October.

If you are going to hike and are concerned you may not get back prior to 4 PM, just give the Hatchery a call and ask how to get it unlocked when you get back. The key is kept in one of the houses that are right there. They will also work with you and leave the gatte closed, but unlocked.