Adirondack 100 Highest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwacker

Reaction score
Adirondack 100 Highest Organization

We would like to invite everyone to the Adirondack 100 Highest website.
We've thought about this for about 2 years, and after finishing this summer,
we got serious and built our own site dedicated to the 100 Highest.

so take a look around!
there is plenty of info on the 100 highest
and plenty of pictures too.

There is a patch and window decal for finishers who've climbed these rugged mts.
Also the "Friends of the 100 Highest" - an opportunity for you to help keep out mountains as wild as they are now.

So welcome aboard, take a look, and let us know what you think!!
http://adirondack100highest.com/default.aspx

Brian, Alan, and Spencer

Last edited by a moderator:
100(&2) reasons to keep climbing!

Nice job everyone - thanks for putting this together! I started last summer when I lost my "V" hangin with you all at the barbeque - I'll keep on keepin on, expect to hear more from me as I continue the quest :)

Thanks again,

Steve

Neat site, folks, but erratic behavior

One time when I clicked on peaklist I got the page source not the finished page

One time when I requested part of the checklist I got a message "request can't be filled from current pool" or somesuch

Some don't have Topo Map links (Puffer & Kilburn) & some do, while the links show the summit area it would be nice if there was a second link at smaller scale centered on the usual approach

Nice work. I'm in favor of recreational access, so I think this is a fun web site. Maybe I'll have time to climb a few more of these over the next couple years. (I'm at 56.)

But be prepared for a little bit of controversy, too. There are quite a few people who disagree with the idea of lists and clubs. The ADK guidebook presents the list of the hundred highest peaks, but (somewhat hypocritically) prefaces it with the disclaimer: "It is not presented with the idea that one should climb them all, or form a club."

This thread may provide a good discussion!

TCD

This site and the idea behind it are 2-3 years in the making. We fully expect that there will be those who are vehemently against.
The deciding factor is that the ADK100 list has been in the back of the Adirondack Mt Club's Guide to the High Peaks for over 30 years, and interest has exploded in the last few years.

We saw our choices as sitting back and doing nothing, or put something together like this and try to guide those who will otherwise climb them anyway.
For those who wish this well, thanks.
For those who don't, well....thats why we thoughtabout this out over so long a period of time.

Brian(bushwacker), Spencer(peak_bgr), Alan(Peakbagr)

Alan's right. Blame Tony Goodwin, the ADK Trail Guide editor! He's the guilty party who first listed the hundred highest in the back of High Peaks Guide. He couldn't have foreseen the role of the internet in ramping up interest not only in the adkHH, but peakbagging in general, be it other hundred highest lists, county and state high points, fire towers, or prominence and modified reduced spire lists.
About the only recourse for those looking for untrammeled peaks may be to hike something not on a list.
Oops, I forgot. That would leave you with a selection of stubby 2ks. Sorry.

That is a fun website. And Bushwacker is a good dude, Spencer......well that is another story.

I think it will definitely increase traffic to these mountains, but not dramatically. The private property issue I think is one of the more important parts to stress in some of the research I've done for routes for doing some off trail hikes in the Adirondacks.

As an example; I kind of like the New Hampshire 100 highest low key approach, since I like to do my own thing. Doesn't mean both ways are not acceptable. It looks to me there was a thoughtful consideration put into the design and concept.

I read Tim's forum about the Adriondacks now and again, and from what I see there are two sides with the issue of possible increased hiking the ADK100. Of course all that talk about the ADK100 raises the profile on the subject. Which I am adding to right now. :)

List or no list no big deal to me, as long as you are outside enjoying yourself in your own way....And you stay the heck away from me and my fish.

After all of this, I say it is a nice site by a couple of good people. (excluding Spencer)

well said spongebob, thanks for the good word.
and you're right . you don't need a list just get out and enjoy the woods.
i'd rather see a few more on the 100, then a 100 on marcy.

bigmoose said:
Alan's right. Blame Tony Goodwin, the ADK Trail Guide editor! He's the guilty party who first listed the hundred highest in the back of High Peaks Guide.

I know you're being a little tounge-in-cheek here, but I remember when I first saw the listing of the 100 highest in the 12th edition of the High Peaks Region Guide, there was also the following sentence in the intro:

"It [the list] is not presented with the idea that one should climb them all, or form a club."

By the time the 13th edition came along, that wording was deleted as that is exactly what had started to happen. In any event, I think this new website is an absolute first-class outstanding effort. You guys are just acknowledging a phenomenon that has already begun. I'm not working on the 100, but if I ever do, this site will be a major resource. Great work guys!

Excellent logo. Nice job, Katie. Any particular mountains represented in it, or are they generic?

How come Tim and Nick aren't listed among the finishers?

Regarding the cutline of the Tabletop canister photograph, I don't think exempt is the word you want there. Maybe something that means the opposite of extant? Extinct?

Last edited:
Artist extraordinarre, ADKatie from ADKHP's designed the patch.
We'd like to think she was a sponge for all our good advice. The reality is that she had the perfect approach. Katie allowed us to think she was listening, and then did the design the way it ought to be! ;)

No particular peaks in mind, just her creative mind at work.

ps If you don't believe her design approach, just ask Tim. :eek:

Tim and Nick are getting close. We hope they will be at 100 sometime next year.
You're right about the Tabletop spelling. I just noticed the boo-boo.

Alan

Last edited:
By the way, thanks for the kind words of support. The gestation of the site felt like giving birth to a baby elephant. Our head geek, bushwacker(Brian) did all the looking around for a sitehost, set things up, did the behind the screen work on the peakfinder, posted a lot of pictures, and listened to my whining more than Spencer did. Peak_bgr(Spencer) added a lot of other stuff, pictures, wording, adjusting the pages, formats, fonts, colors, moving things around and adding to them.
My job was to be the official PITA about stuff. I did some of the site wording, editing, research and location of the finishers and those working the list. I'm also poking around on the ADK100 Archive, and a few other useless things. I was having a grand time uploading pictures one evening until I accidentally deleted an entire section of the board in error. That got me a good slap from the boys. Timmus did a great job with the peakfinder, and we hope, some of her terrific illustrations and cartoons will soon grace the site.
Steady Mark Schaefer, the 'Catskills Historian and Godfather', put together the link we have to another list on the site, the Catskill100. Mark took a list of the Catskill's 3k peaks, researched the ones that brought it from 98 to 100+, and then did a topozone link to each peak on the Cat100 list. He also did all the research on which peak goes with which USGS quad. Bravo again, Mark. There is a very small but active Catskill100 group, and we hope to tap into their skills and suggestions to 'build out' some more Cat100 content.

May we ask a favor of the NY hikers and bushwhackers?
We'd love some more nice, digital photographs of the ADK46( ones that might compliment what we already have) and pictures of the 'lower 54'.

Your support and ideas have been great and we promise to continue building this so someday it will be another good hiking resource for the mountains and bushwhacks of NYS.

Last edited:
Speaking of pictures, it seems strange to have photographs taken from the peaks rather than of the peaks. Do you, or can you, have both?

And how do I get a decal? (Do they go on the inside of the window, I hope?)

Last edited:
I just wanted to congratulate everyone involved on the ADK100 web site efforts. It looks good. I know how much work is needed to create, and then maintain a site is needed. Technical problems and keeping it current can demand alot of time. Everyone involved did a good job, you should be proud!

Peakbagr said:
May we ask a favor of the NY hikers and bushwhackers?
We'd love some more nice, digital photographs of the ADK46( ones that might compliment what we already have) and pictures of the 'lower 54'.
To badly misquote a famous individual:

' "You know not," said He, "what you are asking." ' :D

I can send you a whole TON of pics, Even if you weigh it by the pixel, or the photon! :eek: :D

bigmoose said:
Alan's right. Blame Tony Goodwin, the ADK Trail Guide editor! He's the guilty party who first listed the hundred highest in the back of High Peaks Guide. He couldn't have foreseen the role of the internet in ramping up interest not only in the adkHH, but peakbagging in general, be it other hundred highest lists, county and state high points, fire towers, or prominence and modified reduced spire lists.

JT, Not to get technical, but actually the list first came out in 1972, in the 8th edition of the ADK Guidebook. That was edited by Don McLaughlin. I believe Tony's primary role (as new editions rolled out), was to update and refine the list according to the most accurate USGS. Perhaps Tony is not all to blame and he can chime in on his thoughts. This information and his justification and list specifics are found in the ADK100 section of my site.

I consider myself somewhat of a knowledgeable student of the ADK100 too, seeing that I myself have dedicated over 3 years of my own life to it. Despite this, I'm not sure that I will ever be qualified to be a member of this exclusive club and it saddens me greatly :(

As I said, I have reasearched it extensively and determined, IN FACT, that the summit of DUN BROOK is entirely on Private Property. I've spoken to both entities that control the land (Fitch-Pruyn and Salmon Pond Hunt Club) and they DO NOT ALLOW access. They resisted all efforts to grant "guided access" to a small group we put together. I do not believe they are all that interested in granting hiking access or allowing hiker membership. There are other PP issues to dance around, but this one is a SHOWSTOPPER if you aren't willing to fudge a bit, and I'm not. I've come to the conclusion that this list, as it stands, cannot be hiked legally at this time. I hope that changes. Perhaps these guys are the ones to do it.

I will not cast judgments and recognize some people may not mind the this minor detail, but I just feel {personally} that as I am hiking this list primarily with my son, that trespassing is not a wilderness ethic that I prefer to pass on to him. I recognize this makes me an outsider in this issue. That said, I WILL ALWAYS CONSIDER MYSELF A FRIEND to the peaks, if not a finisher.

I agree with the above posters.... Spence, Alan and Bri are all good guys.

Last edited:
BRAVO!! Bravo!!

Wow!! The site is awesome! No telling how much time you guys have put in to get it up and running - and you hiked, too??

Consider me a friend and willing participant to explore my way around my favorite place to spend leisure time. The other 54 are there to explore and whether I finish them or 53 of them is not an issue in my life!! Every peak is a blessing in some way -- if not just in recognition that you are able to use your legs (knees??) and find your way back out.

IMHO, the best part of many a hike is the time spent with fellow peak seekers. I'm sure your new site will help foster some new friendships and accomplishments filled with new vistas, beautful settings, scrapes and bruises, new learning and, no doubt, a few lost soldiers!!

Congratulations on a supurb beginning. It will only get better with time (as all of us in the online forums have experienced before). Count me honored to be among those featured in the candid shots!! Fun day and more to follow - :D

Political editiorial: I thought that organizations concerned with ADK environmental issues supported lesser use of high traffic routes in favor of getting out into less frequented areas. It would seem to me that your mission is totally in line with this point of view. Hike on!

Thanks very much. One of the things that was very much discussed is potential alignment with the Adirondack Mt Club's issue of dispersing hikers away from the 46. The firetower challenge was originated by Jack Freeman of the ADK for the same reason.
There are different issues with the tower peaks and the untrailled 54, but since the momentum was building on the '54' HH, we thought it a good idea to jump in to nudge it in the right direction.

There will be a sea changes coming with many of the Sportsman's Clubs leases over the next 3-5 years. I know members from a few different clubs who've said some members have left as they can no longer afford the dues. I have a business associate who was a member of one of the larger clubs. He was a member for 30+ years and resigned his membership...too expensive. Some of the Clubs are doing well. Others are feeling the pinch coming from large increases in lease costs imposed on them by the paper companies that own the land. International Paper and Finch Pruyn have expenses and taxes driving things. There was an article a few weeks back that F-P Paper has been discussing a possible purchase by another company. DEC is also lurking, and would be sure to be an interested party in any large land transfer. No one ever thought the Domtar, Henderson Lake or the Whitney acquistions would ever take place. My radar says that lots of changes are coming.

Without wanting to get into specifics here, there are always legitimate ways to gain access to Clubs. Tim's comments are heartfelt, but I believe when he and Nick are up in the 90's, a way will be found to get the boys there. Count on it.

Last edited:
Text shouldn't be underlined unless it's a link to something else. At least that's what I was taught about web design years ago.